Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

A conservative last guy supporter asked us to make a springtime gnome. My wife does the sewing, I do anything computer related like the die cutting of the signs and lettering, patterns etc…

I decided to toss the Whitmer sign in for fun. It will end up in the trash but it makes me smile.

10 Likes

Little scenes or vigniette photographs with meme signs could be a fun like Instagram or something too.

7 Likes

Hey Doc, I found a possible source for, and I quote,

metric shit-tons of wood shavings off the lathe

Just at a guess, how much dry shavings or chips does your mushroom method require to make 6-8 buckets?

10 Likes

Can’t say i weigh it! I just sweep it up and put it into buckets until they are full. Doesn’t weigh much dry. Roughly speaking, the volume doesnt change much following pasturization. Hell, grab all you can, fill as many buckets as you have, and mulch with the rest. I am always pestering tree trimners around here for their chips. “How much you want?” “All of it!”

8 Likes

Went to the Renaissance Faire with the family yesterday. In preparation my boys both forged little axe heads out of railroad spikes and hand-carved the handles from a tree branch, but were disappointed to learn that, unlike the various stage performers, axe juggling isn’t allowed among attendees. My daughter used a miniature sword as a hair pin, but unfortunately lost it towards the end of the day, so we made a new one today.

16 Likes

Good for him for the juggling. I actually taught myself to juggle machetes and torches when I was young. The army surplus store wouldn’t sell to minors so my mom bought them for me. Don’t know if that was bad parenting or supportive parenting but I still have all my fingers.

Keep up the good work, juggling is a great skill to have.

10 Likes

Mushroomning

6 Likes

Bees are retuning to my bee hotel. I scorched the ends of the blocks to darken them; supposedly it makes them more attractive to the bees. This year I’m also trying out paper liners in some of the holes.

18 Likes

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it. But I like online tools, specially the free ones.

10 Likes

Is there a cartoonist out there?

https://animator.main.jp/animeka_managa_2021_EN.html

The winning entry will be turned into an anime about 5 minutes in length by professional Japanese animators!

About the Manga to Anime Short Film Contest
■ Manga entries should be short, about 8-16 pages in length!
■ We’re accepting submissions from both pro and amateur artists.
■ The content of the manga is up to the artist. Past creations are welcome too as long as they have not been published in any official serializations.
■ The prize pool consists of 15 thousand yen for 3rd place, 30 thousand yen for second place, and 50 thousand yen for 1st place (roughly $1,350、$2,700、and $4,500 respectively).
■ The 1st place entry will be turned into an anime short film about 5 minutes in length by professional Japanese animators.

8 Likes

At least the rules posted at the link don’t require handing over all rights, and leave the door open for future compensation should the manga prove successful (but admit it would be difficult).

9 Likes

This problem also happens in photo contests. I’ve found contests that were only interested in creating a particular image bank with pictures sent by unsuspecting photographers.

I also found contests that did not give prizes. Only certificates or diplomas and they only asked for the right to use excerpts from the comic books for advertising. Usually these contests were organized by non-profit cultural associations like the Brazilian Bunkyo. At least these were more honest in their goals.

I hope this contest is like that.

9 Likes

I thought making a pentagonal piece of galvanized sheet metal would be pretty easy. Turns out it’s not.

14 Likes

They did the math wrong on the yen to dollar exchange rate. 15,000 yen is barely more than 100 dollars at the current rate of about 130 yen to the dollar.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to use black paper liners, or do you think the dyes would be bad? My limited experience with mason bees is that they’ll try to stuff pollen in any dark space, even if that dark space is really a sharpie dot on a piece of wood.

5 Likes

Nothing I’ve read suggests the paper color would make any difference. One unexpected problem is that once a bee fills a hole, I can no longer tell whether it’s lined or not.

5 Likes

My wife and daughter are heading to Eastern Market in Downtown Detroit for pre flower day sale. They’re trying to limit crowds because it’s the first event in two years so they’re having smaller event days leading up to the big day on the 15th.

They’re going tommorow so I made them some matching jackets.

9 Likes

All done!

It was once a base for a sculpture, but I’ve been using it as a backyard houseplant platform. The top was just bare plywood until now.

21 Likes

Yes, I am still working on that Honda C70.

No, it is not running yet.

11 Likes

got to do some cabinetry with the guy I’ve done those decks with. furniture-grade birch plywood faced with poplar and trimmed to match the rest of the room. it’s all going to be painted to match the room, too, but that’ll be done by pro painters.

this green thing has the laser inside mounted on a gimbal so it’s self-leveling. such an awesome tool.

he’s going to buy faces for the drawers and doors for between them that all match and put them on tomorrow while I get to go to the dentist. woo-hoo.

21 Likes