Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Excellent work! Good luck at the dentist tomorrow!

7 Likes

Everyone wanted to know how to get a jacket like their’s.

And the cart I modified was the envy of the other flower buyers.

Built this with scraps, I did overnight the cup holders from Amazon because it really needed cup holders. It all comes apart in seconds and lays flat in the trunk.

She got enough flowers for several baskets.

14 Likes

Ooh, that’s nice. Can you post a photo of the back end? I don’t see how the hinged top attaches.

8 Likes

Nothing is attached permanently or with screws, it’s held together just by placing the boards on the frame. There are two studs on the front to hold the top from sliding. At first I thought it would need a couple wing nuts to hold it in place but don’t really need them.

That board on the back is optional so flats don’t slide off. It is held in place with some wing nuts.

I have a drawer full of hanger bolts and wing nuts, they are perfect for making things removable.

I can’t remember why I had the black brackets for the side rails, they are for deck hand rails.

If it hadn’t been so cold when I built it I would have made fancy dados instead of sandwiching two boards together to fit over the cart frame. I also ran out of long scraps so I pieced some of it together from shorter stock.

The front support piece had to be modified so the handle would latch in place. Next time I have paint out it will get painted.

I never have actual plans, I just start putting things together and make it up as I go.

11 Likes

My weekend project

If you know what this is, you are probably old.
If you ever used one, it’s not even in doubt.
Found an old card catalog headed for the dumpster, stripped, repared and refinished it and will put it to work as a hardware sorter in my shop. Gorgeous white oak under gobs of paint and horrible finish. One more saved from the trash!

29 Likes

Are you gonna name it Dewey?

14 Likes

Such a cool re-use! It’s looking good
ETA once upon a time my parents moved into a house with cabinetry around where the master bed went. It was painted a terrible pink. Like a coral pink with Pepto bismal overtones. I was astounded when I opened one to find the doors were a solid oak. Beautiful grain. The entire thing was built out of some kind of oak and the owners had painted it. And painted it a terrible pink. I was so sad for that wood

10 Likes

neat something GIF

Beautiful! Post more when it’s done.

10 Likes

Ooooh, great find. I am jealous. Real card catalogues go for big money in shops and online now. They are highly sought after. As someone with a lot of small-item storage needs, I’d kill for one.

13 Likes

Scotch ale all bottled! Roughly 8% abv

16 Likes

Sweet! Good find! I’m jealous.
But to this part…

I mean, I don’t think 46 is very old, but I definitely have used one. Maybe we age faster in the more rural states where these things were common into the late eighties. Or maybe 46 is old.
Either way, can’t wait to see the final pics, and get offa my lawn! :wink:

7 Likes

4 Likes

Finally found a use for all the scrap cardboard I had laying around my office.

24 Likes

Looks fantastic! How did you handle registration during the glue up?

6 Likes

There were holes for dowels running through most of the slices. I didn’t actually do the 3D modelling for the dino head, though I had to figure out how to adjust it for the thickness of cardboard I was working with. I just added the trophy board to make it into something I could mount to the wall.

12 Likes

Where do you get 3D models for this type of project?

6 Likes

I found this one here, but there are also software programs that will slice any 3-D shape into various thicknesses for a laser cutter.

9 Likes

I thought it might have something to do with Fusion 360 and/or Slicer. Cool!

7 Likes

Here’s a fairly ridiculous project – replacing the headliner in my old pickup.

Cleaned up old fabric and glue. The base is made of some kind of compressed and shaped cardboard.

Might as well do the visors while I’m at it.

Ms. Shiv has lots of fabric, including a roll of red satin.

Ride, pimped:

ETA Ms. Shiv used words like “French” “bordello” “pasha” “harem”

21 Likes

I made a little hatch in my fence so we can speak with our neighbors more easily. It has a latch so it can be opened from both sides. The fence then becomes a table.

17 Likes