Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

one more quick update and i’ll shut up for a while:
successfully burned a gray scale “halftone” on the laser as a negative in linoleuem. relief printed results in postive image.
that’s what i’ve been shooting for!

a little fine tuning on the dithering and i’ll have it.

19 Likes

Samantha Jones Wow GIF by HBO Max

9 Likes

It hasn’t been in my experience. I’ve done some false bottoms in drawers, and on shelves but around the house did a few fun things with molding and magnets.
I don’t even have anything to hide, but it’s so fun. I’m kind of surprised more people getting custom work like you do don’t ask for it.

11 Likes

We have a hidden room behind a bookcase, and the entryway is always open. It seemed cool when we bought the house, but it’s kind of a pain to roll the bookcase backward into the space, and then close it up again each time.

9 Likes

Silicone lubricant?

3 Likes

It’s more that the house has settled ever so slightly, and so lining up the edges of the bookcase with the slot it fits into is a process. The bookcase slides into the hiding spot, so there are no wheel tracks to see when it’s closed up. Also when it’s closed up there’s no way at all to tell there’s a room back there. You might figure it out if you walked around the side and the back of the house actually looking to find something, but otherwise no. But it’s finished, with wood flooring, a sofa-seat, lamp, and reading table, plus big closet storage.

12 Likes

I hear ya, but still…

I’m not telling you what to do with your free time, but that would be priority #1 for me! It’s literally on my bucket list, to have a secret room like that.

9 Likes
6 Likes

My friend, a contractor, built a very large “closet” for his wife accessible through a small door in the bathroom.

It reminds me of Bender’s apartment in Futurama:

10 Likes

vent hood enclosure. stain-grade. mitered plywood. I didn’t get a shot of the vent unit but this is the hole it slotted into

13 Likes

Happy Kevin Hart GIF by PeacockTV

7 Likes

Fence rotted away and I had to replace it.

Bits and pieces

Big gap

New sections painted

Ready to go

New sections in.

Now the old section looks even worse. They’re rotted and filled with bees and ants.

Lesson: check to see if the old sections are square and level before installing. I realized a bit late that they weren’t. So there are some gaps.

14 Likes

That first picture made me think of the (funny) movie “The Wrong Guy”, when David Foley tries fixing Jennifer Tilly’s white picket fence!

5 Likes

Like my teeth.

6 Likes

Ha. But teeth would be cheaper to fix, if needs be.

5 Likes

Tell me you have dental insurance without telling me you have dental insurance :joy:
P.S. fence looks great! Nice job.

7 Likes

After many months of quietude, I finally finished rebuilding this floating dock.

It started here, then here, now here:

I’ve christened her the QFD Zebra.

19 Likes

Where is it? That’s an amazing setting.

5 Likes

Quit f*ing drowning?

(It looks very nice, nice work!)

8 Likes

I know it’s not, but it sure looks like the quarry from Breaking Away.

6 Likes