Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Overall the drawing/representation of the cat looks and feels right to me, so that gets a “great job” from me. If you’re afraid of messing it up you can scan it and have a copy printed on some nice thick paper so you can use that to test going further. Spray some sealant on it to give it texture since a printed drawing is going to be too smooth for pastels. Alternatively don’t be afraid to take this further and if you mess it up it’s still a valuable experience and you can give it another go

3 Likes

The proportions and expression are good! Those are hard with kitties
Do you have any color pencils? I agree that if you want more detail, you could use those over the pastels. I also have heard of using watercolor pencils over the pastels. Which sounds like it might be awesome but also something you’d want to check out on a practice basis first. I also remember using the hard ends of paint brushes and tiny pallet knives to scrape off a bit of pastel to get tiny details back in highschool art class. Kind of a mix of pastels as a paint and pallet as tool technique.

This idea from the humane society is so cute. I’d be very happy with your portrait for $25 and a good cause!

7 Likes

By us Michaels is good for craft stuff and picture frames but no fabric.

We have a giant Hobby Lobby but nope, no way, no how.

There is a fabric store about 45 minutes away but it’s high end stuff.

Most craft stuff we use can be had online but for hands on fabric shopping that my wife enjoys Joann was the only real option.

I Remember when Joann was just a fabric and sewing store in small storefronts but then they went to the superstore model. Maybe too big is a thing.

5 Likes

Me too, and I’ll bet a lot of the country will be in that same boat.

4 Likes

I’ve seen things like (see below) recommended to touch up things like the white reflection in eyes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KK6X7CW

ETA:

Korean Drama Love GIF by The Swoon

3 Likes

Me after checking the mail today
excited bird GIF
because …

SURPRISE! :heart_eyes: :smile: :star_struck:
@FloridaManJefe
(Is this snippet ok?)

11 Likes

I got mine too! Very nice!

ETA: I caught covid this week – or perhaps I should say it finally caught me after four years. @FloridaManJefe’s card arrived unexpectedly on my worst day, when I was feeling like hammered shit and in lonely isolation. You couldn’t have known Jefe, but it was a perfectly timed blast of positive energy that I won’t forget. Next time I’m in the Conch Republic, I’d love to thank you personally and maybe check out your operation.

10 Likes

of course! and thank you. glad you like!
thank you, @MrShiv , makes me very happy to know.
as said in the text, this is the beginning of a series of images that i have been working on over the last few months. i am very pleased with the project and hope it is well received.
the “conch republic” postage stamp is one i have envisioned and worked on for over a year. i call it the 1c Red Flagler.

to anyone that may feel like “jumping on the train”, there are still some available places on the mailing list. each issue is limited to 20 to 40 cards and are not reprinted until i bring all the images together in a book with additional material, expanding on the history being explored.
but, it is mail art, so DM me an address if you woild like. my list is never stored digitally and is NOT for sale. i’ve made the spiel before, i stand by my promise to keep it safe. PO boxes welcome, aliases are welcome.
always free. it is my labor of love. i love to share.

10 Likes

I might be interested myself. I’ll DM you my info

4 Likes

Are you familiar with the Discworld novels of Sir Terry Pratchett (GNU)? One of the many recurring themes (and the subject of one full novel, Going Postal) is the invention of stamps as the key to a modern(ish) postal system. Literally as soon as stamps are invented, they become collectible, are used as de facto currency, etc. Great stuff!

9 Likes

as they already are, IRL.

as young’uns, DB and i were amateur philatelelists. we loved traveling to distant places in the vignette of a tiny postage stamp from afar.

i have indulged in similar “world building” with my own stamp issues, dating back to 1987 “Occupied Columbia City” and a series of stamps from my loft studio print shop in South Seattle. then to the “Free Zone of Issaquah” after leaving the city.
the Conch Republic is an open world sandbox to tell a story based on real history of a place that has inspired imaginations for over 200 years. i can only imagine and draw what i see there.

that is my inspiration and the context i want to share in what i do.
thank you for attending my TED talk…

9 Likes

Post from Florida, thanks @FloridaManJefe !

… but
df0e0f181f78268154298448a0ee6d78

11 Likes

doctor who spoilers GIF

10 Likes

Didn’t you know that philately will get you nowhere?

(Nice postcard, btw.)

6 Likes

oh, but i beg to differ!
we went everywhere!

8 Likes

I’ll explain puns if you explain metaphors.

5 Likes

Wait, is this the joke thread? I can never tell any more.

5 Likes

I need someone to explain sarcasm to me.

5 Likes

What, a smart cookie like you?

1 Like

Spongebob Squarepants GIF

5 Likes