Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

wine cellar in progress

day one we expanded the standard sized door frame for the gate the client bought at the local iron works, then made the custom jamb, hung the gate, and redid the trim.

we’ve been working on the upper cabinets for seven days. they go wall-to-wall all the way around. the X patterns are all calculated to hold pyramids of wine bottles, even on the sides. requires precise measurements and angles, and cutting out the center notches where they cross needs two saws and finishing with a razor knife for part the little saw can’t reach. if the X span was short by > 1/16" (like 1½mm) it was rejected, and each X had to be marked and fitted to the individual cabinet to account for minute differences per cab.

the beam from our laser level hits the bottom edges of each cabinet all the way around simultaneously; one continuous line.

tons more to do.

14 Likes

nod-approve

Thinking back to my site managing days… A project where the client is willing to spend the kind of money quality requires and finding the contractors that will deliver was always something of a unicorn. Finding good contractors usually wasn’t the constricting factor in my experience, though.

10 Likes

An important corollary: the client needs to know how to give input and then get out of the way instead of micromanaging.

10 Likes

Amen to that!

7 Likes

yeah, the guy is a millionaire, obvs. this will be our most expensive cabinet job I’m sure. we’re lucky to have the clientele we have because otherwise it would all be framing and boring shit like that.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful work and lovely that you have an opportunity to do it! I’m so impressed by the precision of the things you post

5 Likes

my boss is a stickler, obsessive about minutiae, required for the type of projects we get and the price we charge

6 Likes

Me, too! Mine just came Thursday. I love the image.
Thanks, @FloridaManJefe !

8 Likes

We’re hosting an eclipse weekend in Ohio. We have two sites at a park that we booked a year ago.

Our RV is the anchor with at least 6 tents. We’ll be there for 7 days, everyone else will be there 2 nights maybe more.

We’re serving at least 2 lunch or dinner meals and two breakfasts. My wife plans the meals I cook a lot of it.

When we host an eclipse event everyone gets gift bags with goodies. This is the stuff I made and my wife has spent 3 dollars on Temu to get bags of sun, moon, and spaces related stuff. Paper plates, napkins, table cloths, jewelry for the kids, etc…

Our daughter and husband made the buttons and stickers. She’s also responsible for eclipse cookies.

In the photo… Bags, stickers, buttons, fleece blankets, can coozies, coffee cups, knit hats, sweatshirts, and we’ll have 48 t-shirts.

We even made a few special shirts for us special people that saw the total eclipse in 2017.

We’re getting excited, gonna be a blast.

12 Likes

Here’s hoping for a clear day!

5 Likes

Thanks.

The Sandusky tourist bureau came out and said for the last 12 years that day has been clear. But, we’ve never been there waiting to see an eclipse.

We have a lot of money invested, worse case scenario were spend a weekend with family and friends being disappointed together.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

We normally don’t take an extra vehicle but we are taking one this time.

Me and my wife will a abandon everyone and chase clear skies if we have to.

We might even have a convoy chasing it but everyone is warning of traffic jams so we play it by ear.

6 Likes

This was my shirt for the 2017 eclipse.

Unfortunately, a cloud moved over the sun just as totality was beginning, so I did not burn my eyes out at all.

I will not be wearing a special shirt this time.

11 Likes

you, sir, are amazing! that goes for all of your peeps involved!
what a truly incredible event you are hosting!
wear your safety glasses!
we here in the keys are promised a “partial”. again. such a narrow band of observation, crossing a barely one mile wide island in between the gulf and the ocean, well, maybe we need to go offshore a bit to see more.
just don’t ask us to go to the mainland.

5 Likes

we ran the crown moulding and got all the individual racks put in. 192 ¾"² sticks. all hand sanded.

12 Likes

New for 2024 the Johnny 5 eclipse viewing station.

Ordered some solar film, pulled out the drill press, hole saws and went to town.

They work really well.

As long as I was ordering stuff I also got a new solar filter for the old Nikon.

9 Likes

Neat! I’d say the sunspot near the top (if it is a sunspot) is just a little bit smaller than the Earth.

5 Likes

I took a picture of the transit of Venus in 2012, using this sophisticated apparatus.

The black dot at 6:00 is Venus.

11 Likes

What is that and how does it work?

I’m guessin’ it a cereal box eclipse viewer variation.

Which reminds me, I gotta eat some cereal because I need the box.

4 Likes

It is. The binoculars (one lens covered) focus the sun’s image on the white paper screen. The picture was taken with a camera pointed at the screen. As I say, not exactly Greenwich Observatory.

3 Likes

@FloridaManJefe Received the postcard over the weekend, i was busy so i set it aside and forgot about it. But i remedied that when i got to work this afternoon, it shall find a place on my bookshelf of curios. Thanks for the kindness of sharing your art.

12 Likes