Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

6 Likes

Please show how that is done.

7 Likes

A friend has a little ankle bitter, he wanted a sign using a sketch he made of thier dog.

Pulled out the cricuit, this is what I came up with.

11 Likes

I forgot, while I had the Cricut out I made some window decals.

I predict I get flipped off in my red county before the weekend is over.

15 Likes

Very nice! You should make stickers and sneakily stick them around town in various locations to piss off the MAGAs!!!

8 Likes

You can leave it as is and just use for Shaolin training.

6 Likes

My wife and I were just talking about that but in this day and age with all the cameras and, in my county, all the guns, she talked me out of it.

But I am passing them out to friends and family.

10 Likes

very cool project! love the decals and the message. WRT: you surreptitiously sticking them about in public, may i say, sir you are clever. smart. wise.

1. clever use of your stickers
  2. smart to discuss this with your wife.
  3. wise to heed her advice!
12 Likes

Ah… good point. Your wife is very wise, and you’re lucky to have her…

Drama Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

10 Likes

I am looking to buy some metal nightstands today hopefully, they’re 2nd hand but i don’t mind repainting if i need to. Below are pics from the seller.

Would the kind folks here recommend repainting? If so what’s the process? Should i buy some kind of paint stripper and if i repaint it should i get a some spray cans formulated for metal? Anything else i should know?

I was also considering making a square frame to affix to the top of the nightstands and then put some thick felt or cork so that when you put stuff on top of it it’s not hitting the metal directly. If this is a good idea what would be the best way to affix the wood frame and felt/cork to the nightstand?

6 Likes

What struck me is that after painting the color you want, decoupage might be a great way to personalize them and make them seem less institutional for your bedroom.

2 Likes

It’s not a bad idea, though i mostly want to leave the fronts as is. The sides could have some kind of design element to them though the sides would likely not be very visible. But if its a fun project to do with my SO i’m all for it. Also thinking of lining the drawer and shelves inside also with either cork or felt.

5 Likes

I’m thinking subtle art deco/nouveau trim, not flowers, FWIW!

5 Likes

we hung doors on the cabinets and refrigerator. the tile crew is going to make a backsplash out of the same floor brick, minus the V pattern, between the cabinets and the owner is soliciting painters to do the stain and then this room will be completely done.

15 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

8 Likes

OMG, i love your work!

7 Likes

Looks amazing :slight_smile: great job

7 Likes

That looks so lovely, even unstained! Amazing precision

6 Likes

I don’t have a lot of experience with rehabbing metal with paint, just a couple easy spray paint jobs. But I think you would want to assess the condition of the existing finish. If there is no rust or damage, then sand well and proceed with spray paint in your color of choice. Like with any paint job, prepping the surface makes a huge difference. Practice your spray technique to avoid overspray and drips - multiple thin coats. Remove the glass door fronts if possible, otherwise tape them off well.

The tops look like they are slightly inset. Could you apply cork or felt there and keep the smooth minimalist look?

6 Likes

Picked up the nightstands about an hour ago, getting them in my car was a lesson in poor planning but we got them to fit. Barely. Condition of the metal is pretty excellent, i will go with the plan to sand and repaint as you detailed. The top and sides are inset, i might go with just dropping something in there but i do want a little bit of a lip. Will debate if i want to go through the trouble of making or having a frame made. And lastly the handles look easy to swap, we’ll change those as well.

Overall i’m happy with the purchase, and the nightstands are built like a tank. It was pretty heavy :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes