Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Exactly.

My hands are nowhere near steady enough for that kind of fine detail, but if you let the paint do the work for you there’s no need for them to be.

Paint all the bits in the colours you want them to be, drybrush a bit of silver onto the bits you want to stand out, cover the whole thing with black thinned down to ink consistency.

Beyond that, there are simple tricks like layering colours. The “metal” bits on those ogres have black underneath, to give them that rough-iron orcish look. If I hadn’t done that, the metal would be much brighter and more suited to an elvish/heroic look.

5 Likes

@Ignatius I make notebooks too- though I go for the Field Notes mode of 3.5" x 5.5" and three staples for binding. A quick corner punch to put a 10mm radius on them and they’re good to go. I like that I can mix and match paper and paper patterns to get a mix I like.
For archiving, I often just chuck digital stuff into some templates I’ve cooked up and have them printed/bound by a POD service (like Lulu, for example). Works pretty ok.
But those stitched bound notebooks look really nice- I’ll have to work on my covers (as they’re nowhere near as lovely looking as those).

3 Likes

I’d like to make a traditional style hardcover notebook to my demanding specs. That’s kind of my immediate goal there.

I got a spiral bound notebook printed through Cafe Press (is that even around anymore?) but ended up not using it for a variety of reasons. Lulu’s perfect bound books I’ve gotten look decent enough to get a notebook made with but even the nicest POD solution is probably going to have woeful paper for the purposes of fountain pen use (which I wasn’t using when I did the spiral bound so that wasn’t a factor).

2 Likes

Indeed- I use the POD only for the physical archiving of digital work- tweets, evernote, scans, etc… The paper quality is ok, but it’s not to the standards of notebook-snob “ok”.
I’d love to learn to do hardbound books, but I need another/new hobby like a hole in the head. And I’m not that into trepanation, so…

3 Likes

One of my hoodies needed to be perked-up a bit, so I busted out the embroidery floss.

Just simple backstitching, using 3 strands of floss.

25 Likes

Oh, that looks nice.

I should learn how to do that myself. I once asked for someone to spice up an old shirt with some DNA, but it did not come out well.

11 Likes

Spice it up or splice it up?

5 Likes

A few more ogre piccies:

17 Likes

Is that DNA? (love it!)

4 Likes

It’s an approximation, to be sure. :smile: I like to use the design to fill in big areas.

3 Likes

Reminds me of someone else who did that: “go forth and multiply” :wink:

5 Likes

That. Is. Boss.

Now I want a double helix hoodie.

8 Likes

Well, my custom embroidery rates are pretty affordable… :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign:

5 Likes

But for @japhroaig, a special one-time price of ?

8 Likes

:smiley:

I’ll consider barter :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Making these:

12 Likes

That can be arranged!

2 Likes

Just make sure you get BARTER. :wink:

1 Like

If that means what I think it means (I sure as hell know a firkin) can I join your club?

The more, the beerier. We’ll meet here: https://avbc.com/event/20th-annual-legendary-boonville-beer-festival/

2 Likes