Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Sean Turnbuckle, the alter ego of Garfield’s owner. :wink:

Nice project, @MrShiv - I can see what you meant about it being tough to drill the angles correctly, but it looks like you nailed it. What was your technique?

5 Likes

: )
(I did the thing where I edited in more stuff after you liked the post)

4 Likes

I like that look too (hog panels) – I really prefer the visibility & general lightness of these wire-based options over the usual wood pickets. I briefly considered hog panels, but rejected them because they would require framing.

I also thought about using painted rebar (as either rails or pickets) for its industrial aesthetic, but was stymied by how to install it practically.

Noah will probably laugh at this, but it was basically guided eyeballing. I marked every 6.5" down from the top rails (the wood part) on either side of the post showing where the ends of the “tunnels” should fall. Then I drew a line on the side of the post connecting those heights. I clamped a straightedge against that line, and used the straightedge to aim the drill. My spouse helped with two extra eyeballs. Still, I missed twice. I’ll fill the bad holes with caulk.

10 Likes

yeah, wire rails are great, yours look really good.

5 Likes

No questionable large hot tub on that deck?

Mark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home

8 Likes

Thanks!

[smug satisfied smile]

9 Likes

I’ve been working on this project on and off for like a year.

I got this table from off the curb, put it on my deck and the rain swole the fiber board and the laminate separated

I removed the laminate tops and sanded the table tops flat but where the fibers swole, they sponged up water below and pot-holed the surface . you can sort of see it here on the edge, but I already filled in the holes with bondo.

several applications of bondo to fill holes and then level the surface

smooth surfaces

now prime and paint them and the armature which was teal also. then a clear coat on the tops

while I had the paint out, I painted these speakers which had white primer on them but it was attracting smudges and marks

you can see the hideous fake wood grain that they came with here:

16 Likes

in case anyone missed this on the main page:

5 Likes

Our daughter was over for her birthday, she wants to go full hipster for their fall trip to Disney.

She asked if I still had any film cameras.

Do I have film cameras?

She has a degree in photography because many moons ago we were going to start a photography business so she knows how to use them.

I said the 1950 Kodak Retina Reflex was the winner but she went home with the very capable Nikon 6006. A favorite and old friend of mine. And an old 126 cartridge camera. Apparently you can still buy cartridge film and she has a camera shop that still develops in house right down the street from her.

This was a sample of what I offered her. The oldest is the 1917 Kodak Autographic.

This guy washed up after that last giant storm that blew through Michigan, I asked my neighbor to change it from a trumpeter (black bill) to a mute swan(orange bill).

13 Likes

This reminds me. I managed to score my dad’s Canon film camera he used extensively in the 80’s and 90’s, i really want to take it to a camera shop to have them take a look at it and service it.

3 Likes

I completed this hydromel and it turned out great.

I slightly changed my secondary additions from what I had planned. I back-sweetened with maple syrup, but skipped the vanilla. I used cacao nibs instead and also skipped the caramel. The end result is a smooth balanced drink with no overpowering flavors.

I shared a couple bottles with the owners of the brewery I work at and they liked it so much, they asked if i’d make it there.

15 Likes

Pretty rad, if it does become a product there share the beer label and name when that’s all public knowledge. I have wanted to get into making mead myself but i need to organize the garage because my SO would kill me since we don’t have room for more of my stuff in the house :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Cracked open the Harvest Ale I brewed back in April. It has a light sweetness and a mild bitterness. Quite tasty. Brewed using hops, strawberries and raspberries from the garden.

I have a tendency to make strong beers so I deliberately made this one a little lighter. Still came in at about 5%.

16 Likes

+1 for posting here instead of in the food/drink topic. Cooking is cooking, but this is crafting.

No slight to chef @kentkb intended.

9 Likes

No slight taken!
Cheers on all your posts . :raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

I’m building a “mud kitchen” for our daughter’s day care. I’d never heard of these, but I guess the toddlers love them. The base is treated pine, stained and varnished. The tops and backsplash are cedar fence pickets.

The original plan was for a working faucet with a garden hose hookup and a drain, but it seemed too complicated. I can add it later if the rug rats demand it.

12 Likes

It’s looking good! Please do the daycare a favor and round the corners if you can. The ways young children can injure themselves is unbelievable. Rounded corners and rounded edges will go a long way towards making sure the injuries remain bumps and bruises and not split skin requiring medical attention. If your state is like Texas, any injury requiring medical attention has to be reported to the state

9 Likes

Didn’t check the mail yesterday, so I found the Papiermeister’s latest this morning for a lovely Sunday surprise :heart_eyes:

Many thanks @FloridaManJefe!

11 Likes

I am terrible about remembering to check the mail but Princess Ravus also received a nice surprise from @FloridaManJefe !
Ravus thought the paper smelled interesting but wasn’t as impressed as I. I tucked it away before “interesting” could turn into “snack”

9 Likes

could be smelling my shop cat, Buddy.
Buddy sits on his bench right beside me as i work. he sometimes climbs into my lap when i am addressing cards.

10 Likes