Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Sport weight yarn?

1 Like

Turning the heel or leaving a gap and filling it in later?

1 Like

Super Fine. I wanted to go something finer but I decided to use actual instructions this time instead of having twelve draft versions out of stubbornness (it wasn’t only stubbornness for the hats … I have an odd sized head apparently).

Turning the heel. I didn’t even consider leaving it for later. :laughing: But turning the heel is probably about where I need to be at my current skill level anyway. We’re not making sweaters yet.

3 Likes

Turning it is far more elegant and the best way to do it.
But for laziness and speed, I just leave a 20 stitch gap held with a scrap of yarn and pick those stitches up at the end for the heel.

Ah, I thought you were binding them off and then picking up the stitches later. :laughing: And casting on again like you were making the top end of a button hole. Which would be a little bit like joining pieces on a sweater … if I understood the five hours of videos I watched on that. :sweat:

1 Like

Tea box with glass fusion, chalk paint, and Kintsugi.

10 Likes

Alright- so “make” is maybe a tiny bit of a stretch here, but…
My new mechanical keyboard came in- it’s a KB V60. Lovely thing with Cherry Clear switches in it and red/blue led’s. What’s the first thing I do when it comes in? Rip all the key caps off and replace them with the custom set I had WASD Keyboards make for me. NOW it looks like I wanted:

edit because fingers typing is hard

20 Likes

Here are some photos of a Ceramic tea set I made a little over a year ago, the reason I am posting the photos of it now is because I ended up having to dig them out today so I could add them to a portfolio I need for an application to a job that involves working in a Ceramic Studio. Wish me luck!

20 Likes

While looking through my ceramic photos I also came across some of a more recent piece that didn’t turn out to my expectations and thus was left incomplete (I decided not to glaze fire it, as you can clearly see). If anyone wants an explanation on what is/what it was meant to do just ask and I’ll do my best to explain it.

Height is about 15 and 1/2 inches.

8 Likes

Is it a Bundt cake maker designed for use over open fires?

ETA: No pics, but had a prodcutive morning slicing apart empty bottles. Always a tricky job, got about a 95% success rate today. Lots of nice, clean breaks. :smiley:

4 Likes

Good luck! I hope you get the job!

8 Likes

Not me, but mum has been quilting again.

24 Likes

Nope, but that idea is genius!* It is basically a uh… well it’s hard to explain. I think a good way to think about it is a mix between a Russian Samovar and a oversized Pythagorean cup. The cylindrical container piece holds the tea until there is enough liquid in it that it goes over the top of the column in the middle which houses/is a siphon set up in a format similar to the one in this much smaller cup:

The tea is then supposed to fall from the bottom of the cylinder into a vessel hanging underneath (a vessel that regrettably did not survive bisque firing), where it is then split off by four spouts that would hypothetically be able to fill 4 tea cups at the same time.

The broken tea splitter that was meant to hang from the underside of the stilted piece:

*Makes note to build a Bundt cake maker for use over open fires at some point in the future.

12 Likes

I was thinking it was for something like this.

You’re using it for something much more sophisticated.

(Ummm, trigger warning, sorry.)

12 Likes

That’s rather an elegant idea. It also reminds me of something but I can’t quite recall what.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s super cool. I feel like it should be in a museum.

4 Likes

I’ll pass that on!

Here’s a few others she’s done. She’s always been really good at things like this. Used to make lots of lace as well.

25 Likes

That’s a very pretty yarn.

1 Like

Wow. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can stitch straight and curvy lines.

Absolutely beautiful!

4 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: It’s just some yarn I bought to practice sock knitting on before committing my good yarn. :sweat: But it’s very pretty. And much better than some of my other practice yarn (which is so terrible I mostly practice on my good yarn for everything else).

3 Likes