Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Juuuuust finished a rug.

It’s 26" x 41", denim (old jeans except the center strip, which was a remnant from the fabric store) sewn to a canvas backing.

The backside:

I sewed bias tape to the canvas edges to keep them from fraying, but left the demin edges ragged. I like how they fray after a couple of washings.

Shoes for scale:

15 Likes

Nice work. :slight_smile:

prolific (adjective) : marked by abundant inventiveness or productivity. Example: a prolific composer.

See also: monkeyoh

6 Likes

And another 5 of peach chutney, and some peach-pineapple-ginger jam, and some peaches, and some apple pie filling. And I picked some more apples this morning. Tomatoes are starting to come in too.

Edit: forgot about the little bit of pesto! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is my zipper stash, and yet not one of them is the right length or color for the dress I’m making.

15 Likes

I covet your zipper stash

I don’t know why I have so many 12-14" zippers! They’re too short for dresses and too long for skirts! Why did I buy them?!

3 Likes

You wanted to make handbags?

3 Likes

Punking up jeans?

4 Likes

Exposed brass zippers seem to be the style for skirts and dresses right now. Easier to set than the invisible ones, at least!

1 Like

I should make some more skirts then. I’ve got a load of brass zips reclaimed from old bags and things.

1 Like

I made a skirt last year and used one of those lace-edge zippers (I was going to post a photo but I can’t seem to upload), and I actually found it harder than putting in an invisible zip! My brain kept screaming “you’re doing this backwards!!!” and I had the worst time figuring it out.

You’d think it’d be easier to just slap a zipper on the outside, but when you’ve spent years doing something a specific way it’s hard to do it the opposite way.

8 Likes

Take them back. None of those are invisible.

Hmm - the 14" ones are about right for my inseam zipper…

4 Likes

I was honestly just waiting for someone to say this.

11 Likes

I have no trees large enough to build a treehouse, but the clubhouse is well underway this week.

24 Likes

Dress zippers aren’t great for bag making, though. Handbag zippers have wider tape and wider coils making them more suitable for heavy use.

Source: my wife is a hardcore quilter and bag maker.

3 Likes

I mentioned this in the drinking thread…

But OMG… I got these Brodart Mylar dust jacket overs. I got a kit for 100 in various sizes, pre-folded and interior paper pre-glued ready to go. Now I am protecting ALL THE THINGS!!

It just makes everything look so much nicer. No more worry about the condition going down hill over time. I know over time the plastic will get dulled from rubbing, but right now its all crisp and shiny. I am going to my kids house and protecting her new Harry Potter book and anything else that has a dust cover.

9 Likes

This is what I need the zipper for:

It will have a collar that matches the pocket trim. I love the color because it reminds me of those “Lady and the Unicorn” tapestries.

17 Likes

What if you made a dress with two zippers in line with each other. For a goof. Or they meet in the middle, maybe?

Not stopping Pete Docter:

5 Likes

That’s built better than my house! :wink:

5 Likes