Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

So when I finished working on the Abafar QT-KT & BB for a friends bday, I was talking to her besty & she got a little choked up when talking about KT. Turns out she & her sister (now dearly departed cuz FUCK CANCER) first discovered KT when her sis got diagnosed. Her sis had a crush :kissing_heart: on KT & it was kinda like her little mascot for the fight.
Anyhoo, this xmas will be just after the one year anniversary of her sisters passing, so I put this one together which is more ā€œstockā€ than the previous Jedi variant. I find working on ā€œnewā€ looking things to up the difficulty quite a bit because I have no dirt/grime or shading to cover up any imperfections. On this one I also added the periscope & radar attachments (so the droid can be searching if she would like) & made it so that top compartment can be open or closed - the third wheel can drop down too. I was going to do an ArToo for her, but after hearing her storyā€¦ how could I not?

Made the R4-D5 (with a wee blown motivator) for her hubby.

13 Likes

It became part of a table I made, but that is a good idea and still doableā€¦

1 Like

Calling @japhroaig! Itā€™s capybara time!

This is the mama. I gotta get started on some capybara babies next.

24 Likes

Iā€™m a ā€œmakerā€ for my living, but this is what Iā€™m working on for fun. I wanted to design and pour a fluke fishing bucktail I could machine the mold for myself with simple ball end mills, for pure perversity and vanity reasons. I know theyā€™re only like $40. I used Sketchup to design the form, get the weights right and find the balance point for the eyeloop.

13 Likes

Yes! Because Doctor Who scarf season is coming, which sounds so much better than Winter is coming

9 Likes

OMFG that is a door a ball.

OK that is two people. It has two wasp nests on the outside. Let me try to clean it up and look it. Its a Japanese Brother, ie believe.

3 Likes

Do EET! You wonā€™t regret the investment. Just be like me and be deathly afraid of losing a finger or three.

One piece of advice: Read up on how the model handles sawdust. Thatā€™s something I never thought might be an issue.

3 Likes

Yeah. Itā€™s sad to think that a machine thatā€™s going to produce lots of sawdust might not be able to handle said sawdust. Seems a major design flaw.
As much as I might want one, Iā€™m not sure about space- a track saw would be easier to store by farā€¦ and I really want a welder. So thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

If you really want to get into woodworking: table saw, router + router table, and a dozuki hand saw. Have those and you can build just about anything.

ETA: Youā€™ll still need jigs and clamps and all that, of course. For fine miters, I recommend this Japanese saw guide matched with a non-spined, pull saw.

4 Likes

I have several Japanese pull saws- both fine cutting for joints as well as coarse toothed. Love them.
Iā€™m unlikely to go full-on woodworking. I tend to work on such a diverse selection of projects that it can be hard to amass the spectrum of tools Iā€™d need. Ah, well.
Still: a router is on the list.

1 Like

I donā€™t knit well enough to copy that, but I really want to crochet something similar, because that is sofa king CUTE!

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure it would be pretty easy to do in crochet, a la amigurumi-style patterns. Except the mama capybara is large (about 20" long!), whereas most amigurumi are smaller in scale.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve made several stuffies, and they always end up being larger than I anticipate. I canā€™t seem to make tiny ones. I am also incapable of following a pattern, itā€™s either a mental block or I just donā€™t like to follow directions, so itā€™s all sort of improv crochet when I do it.

4 Likes

When I crocheted more (I learned crochet before I learned to knit), I really liked the ā€œimprovā€ aspects of it. Knitting seems a little less flexible and forgiving than crochet.

4 Likes

I just got a box with 15 leather holsters from WW1 and WW2, all with serious damage. I have not photographed them yet, but I will post images when I do.I also have just completed repairs on a vietnam-era USAF parachute, which is hanging in the shop, and needs to be packed.

7 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad you got a handle on this. I use split-ring markers when doing short rows so I donā€™t lose track if I have to put my work away before itā€™s done.

1 Like

I ended up using all five needles (one for the other side of the sock, one each side for remaining stitches, and two for working section) to keep track but I think the pattern was wrong on the math. I tried to compensate but weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

I cannot give you enough internets for this phrasing.

7 Likes

I finished these custom dice bags last month for the board game my wife and I designed.

I got the design printed at Spoonflower and I was able to fit a dozen bags onto a single yard of fabric. Weā€™ll need to reorder soon and Iā€™m considering getting it in a slightly heavier fabric.

11 Likes