Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I never asked to be taught to weld until I was nearly 30. And my Dad is a wizard with metal. He just figured I would ask when I was really interested. When I finally got challenged, I got really good in just a few years. I can now do high tensile steel and exotic metals, and even microwelding. It is a great skill to have, and I could have asked more questions when I was eight or so.

7 Likes

6 days until con ā€¦ I guess I should start sewing.

7 Likes

Which con are you referring to?

1 Like

Emerald City Comicon! Iā€™m going as General Organa. Carrie Fisher was going to be a featured guest. People have asked that the con leave her table up so people can leave tributes.

16 Likes

Nice! Thereā€™s entirety to many cons going on right now. :astonished:

3 Likes

My fish candleholder turned out better than I thought it would but I wish Iā€™d left more open spaces.

22 Likes

When I was a teenager, my dad bought a full-sized lathe and put it in the garage. Itā€™s one of my big regrets that I never learned to use it ā€“ I was finding it hard enough to keep up with my studies and couldnā€™t take on another hobby.

7 Likes

You just canā€™t dwell on that sort of thing. I will tell you my biggest one. We always had small aircraft when I was growing up. I was sitting in the copilotā€™s seat from the age of six or so. When I was 12, my Dad offered to get me flight certification. I had just discovered sailing, and all I wanted to do was sail. I was just too busy to spend all that time studying. Just dumb on my part. But I learned from it. I donā€™t ask my kids if they want to learn something, I just grab them and put them to work. As a kid, you never think that the window of opportunity to learn something is finite.

12 Likes

A few weeks ago a box arrived with some glass and some copper foil. This weekend I got some more lumber.

Now Iā€™m making stained glass doors for the cabinet. A coat of paint and three more and weā€™ll be right as rain.

28 Likes

Three more, yo! Itā€™s like itā€™s some kind of cabinet factory in my basement.

24 Likes

And here it is on its inaugural flight.

20 Likes

Can there really be too many cons?
(NFI what Iā€™m wearing to Cleveland Concoction next weekend. Iā€™m doing 2 panels and a workshop with my daughter, but I really want to dress up, not just wear our orgā€™s T-shirt.)

1 Like

General Organa is hitting the con today.

28 Likes

For anyone interested, I started a Topic on the BB 3.0 stuff!

12 Likes

At long, long last: the rando-style front rack and basket for kid #1ā€™s bike is done. Just in time to make another for kid #2.

19 Likes

Great pic ! ! FLASHBACKS !

4 Likes

This is not really ā€œmakingā€ but Iā€™ve been building a ton of flat-pack furniture since I moved. I now have a place for my vintage hats and weird purses:

The floppy hats took up too much room until I hit upon the idea of a second curtain rod with ring clips. Now they donā€™t fall off the wall!

24 Likes

Iā€™m taking a week off from building furniture now that this console is done.

The window seats are going to be for another day.

25 Likes

When Iā€™m not composing or working on translations, what I do to relax:

Edit: This one is called ā€œConstruction in Plastic, Concrete and Lightā€.

19 Likes

Deckles and moulds today. Scrap picture frames, reclaimed latches, bit of flyscreen and some weatherstrip. :smiley:

5 Likes