Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

:blush:

14 Likes

Cutting fast vs cutting delicate, same tool:

Working on an olive lidded pot. Should be nice.

9 Likes

Question for the gallery.

Here’s the pot in progress:

Which knob should it have?

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway-
I was adjusting the sander I made, and was using an old section of railroad track to play around with. I don’t have any coarse belts yet, so it still has lots of saw gauges and scrapes. But what is really interesting is the cross section of the track:

It likely took a lot of force and time to do that, as I assume it was symmetrical to start with. This piece of track was manufactured in 1898.

6 Likes

Olive and redgum, waxed finish.

13 Likes

That’s purty…

3 Likes

Nearly done on the redgum bowl:

8 Likes

First coat of varnish on:

Working on a large lidded cypress bowl next…

6 Likes

I’m starting to feel guilty about monopolising this thread.

The rest of y’all gotta start making more stuff…

10 Likes

Looks good. Without trying to be overly critical, in general I think the knobs you put on these vessels are too big. (Not this one, though.) You use these really attractive woods for the pots; the bigger knobs are just not to my taste – they kind of grab attention away from the rest of the work.

I’m not a woodworker or artisan, so feel free to dismiss this as my ignorant opinion.

I really like how the grain lines up here between the lid and the body

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but as justification:

• The big-knob ones were the first knobs I’d ever done, and I was happy just to get it to work at all.

• Some of the pots are quite small, making the knobs look bigger.

• My hands don’t work very well, so small knobs are awkward to use for me.

But, yeah: more finesse on the knobs is called for. My knob-making technique has improved, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

(insert obligatory knob jokes here…)

9 Likes

I like that handle with that pot. Vertical sides to match vertical sides, simple to match simple, some shape to make the handle usable.

4 Likes

That’s what she said…

3 Likes

I’m enjoying reading along, I think you’re doing great work.

Almost all my improv/creative work these days is bike-related. I just added bar-end extensions as a place to put a mirror. The bar-ends came off a bike that looked like it had been run over then thrown behind the shed to rust and serve as a home for wildlife. When I disassembled the handlebars, a very tiny black spider with a red dot on its belly came out of one of the shifters, The bar-ends were chromed but rusted, so I went through several rust-removal steps to get most of that off. Distressed is good, it matches the rest of this bike.

On the desk next to me is my helmet. I just improvised a visor of black plastic to hang over one eye. (Source: leftover container from a microwave lasagne.) This’ll let me block out on-coming headlights by dipping my head toward that side, while still allowing me full view the rest of the way around. I had been wearing a hat with a bill under the helmet, but it was blocking too much and I was riding with my head up at an awkward angle. I tried this new thing last night and it works pretty well, although I did drop it down another 7mm after. So this is my favorite kind of hack: cheap and effective.

6 Likes

I’ve been quietly following your journey, but if makes you feel better, here are some quantum dots I made recently:

nanocrystals

16 Likes

Just about ready for sanding:

5 Likes

All done:

Cypress and redgum. Very happy with how snugly I got the lid to fit.

Bigger than my usual, too.

9 Likes

BTW: here is the list of Etsy categories:

https://www.etsy.com/help/categories/seller

Click through and it goes into a three-layer selection. Most of my stuff is currently listed under Home & Living -> Home Decor -> Baskets and bowls.

That’s fine for decorative bowls, but it’s a bit off for the fruitbowls and lidded pots.

I’m having trouble finding a more appropriate category, though. Anyone spot anything?

3 Likes

How about:

Dining and Serving -> Bowls

Kitchen Storage -> Jars and Containers

Storage & Organisation -> Cabinets & Food Storage

I’ve been staying away from kitchen/food themes because most of my stuff is waxed or oiled rather than varnished; it’ll do for a fruitbowl, but you’d ruin the finish if you filled it with potato salad or whatever.

What I really want is a specific “fruitbowl” category. And something non-foody for the pots.

2 Likes