Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

There doesn’t seem to be a specific fruit bowl category but people do ‘tag’ products with fruit bowl (which I see you already do).

The fight over whether fruit bowls are ‘decorative’ objects (if there ever was one) appears to be well and truly lost.

They appear to be fully in the realm of the interior decorators so Home Decor -> Baskets and Bowls with a fruitbowl tag seems right.

Looking at other sellers, they seem to be quite happy to specify in the individual product description what the bowl could/could not be used for.

With the pots, I suppose you need to decide whether they are mainly decorative or functional objects and if they’re functional, what is their function?

I notice that some sellers provide info on restoring/maintaining the finish on their wooden products. Some don’t.

Personally, my take would be to pick the lowest level category that still makes sense (so for pots, that would be Storage) and describe the item as fully as you can in terms of material, finish and any aftercare advice (I love that you provide dimensions, I’ve notice many sellers don’t). It’s then up to the punter what they use it for.

Does that make any sense to those who sell online? I don’t myself so I’ve no idea how specific one has to be.

3 Likes

Just finished a bowl:

And now I’m gonna make a lid for it:

9 Likes

I’m sure a lot of people in Michigan have, too.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

This one is lovely. I like the balance of the knotty material on either side.

7 Likes

Just the knob to do.

9 Likes

Orange citrus knob, camphor laurel bowl & lid.

8 Likes

Is that guy in Fremont? I’ve never seen him.

Edit: No, wait … Pacific Science Center?

2 Likes

Almost done with the varnishing:

7 Likes

Some notes on my canned fish project.

The fish turned out OK, the biggest issue being the species of fish, I think.

Canning Chub (note: not Cisco, like Chub-Chub) in miso paste worked out great. It was appreciably close to the canned Mackarel in Miso you get in Japan, since Chub is a decent, flavorful pink meat. Species used: Creek Chub, Horneyhead Chub, Fallfish (maybe).

I canned the shiners in just olive oil, salt and liquid smoke. The scent was dead on for canned sardines, but the actual meat proved to be the most bland I’ve ever tasted in a fish. Guess that’s why people don’t eat Shiners. Really just need a bit of soy sauce, and it’d have been OK. Or other savory flavor. Species used: Likely common shiners (they all look alike, really).

7 Likes

Do you know this Youtube channel?

They do some nifty stuff on old-school food preservation.

5 Likes

very cool!

That one. You work, well volunteer across the way from it. How can you not have seen it?

I haven’t been in there in ages. My kids are too big for it.

1 Like

MrsTobinL and I go on occasion depending on the special exhibition. Though it has definitely been awhile. I really miss that other than special exhibits it is all free in my home town for the zoo and museums. Too expensive to go on semi regular basis here.

Yep, Pacific Science Center courtyard. Visited Seattle a few years ago (unfortunately did not get to visit with boingers there) and was very amused at the expressions on those dinosaurs! A picture doesn’t really do justice.

Just added an accidental thumbprint to the varnish on both bowls. Fuck.

2 Likes

New bowl, camphor laurel with an african olive knob:

6 Likes

Maker’s mark?

5 Likes

Right in the middle of the bowl section, unfortunately.

It’s okay; they’ll make good Christmas presents. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you ever achieve fame, that’ll be authentication.

7 Likes

beavis-and-butthead-huh-huh

6 Likes