Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Really not sure this qualifies but i’m part of a UV theatre ensemble and we’re currently making props and working on our arts council funded piece for an end of january performance for those in the area and want to watch some (free) UV psychedelic fun - The Colour of Music Tickets, Sat 25 Jan 2020 at 19:30 | Eventbrite

I say funded… well it’s part funded and we have to raise the rest ourselves if anyone is feeling the spirit of new year good will in them - The Colour of Music - a Music crowdfunding project in Cardiff by Hummadruz :hugs:

Here’s a rather nice backdrop we’ve almost finished…

22 Likes

That’s really nice. Definitely going to order that bezel, too.

7 Likes

I love the stylistic element. Kudos to the artist/designer.

9 Likes

Oh thank you! I didn’t draw it myself but helped paint it and yeah, the artist in question did a great job. Your work is amazing from what i’ve seen so the kudos has extra weight. I did make the purple doppler in the following pic though, which are very time consuming to do but look amazing under UV (and spinning!).

20 Likes

One thing I know for sure is I’m no graphic designer. A copyist at best…

6 Likes

Baby Yoda fever struck. Made it up as I went along. :slight_smile:
IMG_20200110_213835

IMG_20200110_232242

ETA it multipied! :slight_smile:

25 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

I would trade a Baby Yoda painting for a yarn Baby Yoda!

There’s gotta be someone I could gift one to. Maybe my niece.

12 Likes

Doing a bit more work on my faux-neon sign.

Cutting grooves for the flex LED with the CNC router:

Each letter panel is 24" x 30" MDF. Satin green spray paint for the background. No need to paint all the way to the edges; you’ll see why later.

The 12V “flex neon” LED strip can be cut every 2.5cm. I dry-fit it and cut on the nearest mark with heavy shears.

Soldering new leads is tricky. I’m using “thermostat wire” (great stuff for low-voltage projects) and tinning the ends:

Then just a brief tap from the iron will stick the wires to the tiny pads without melting the plastic too much.

Hot glue + plastic cap + heat shrink tubing + more hot glue makes it solid and waterproof (although not especially neat or pretty).

Then I drill holes to feed the power leads through, and tack down the flex LED in the grooves with a dab of hot glue every 6" or so. I cut the outer trace for the “F” a little too long; you can see a wavy bit on the right side of the “foot” where I had to squeeze in the extra length.

Painting backs and edges. MDF is not waterproof, but this sign will be outdoors for 5-6 days in the Missouri winter, so I’m sealing it with exterior paint

More pics later. Finished sign reveal in early March.

20 Likes

These days? Knives. Lots of knives. I’m doing a 10 month long knife and axe-making intensive so neck knives, camp knives, tiny axes, hatchets, san-mai knives, and that’s just for class. I’m also making my own goloks, karambits, and kucangs for practice.

12 Likes

many questions, expecting photos

11 Likes

ETA:
I’ve cobbled this together earlier this year, mostly out of stuff I had lying around anyway.
I use a car sharing scheme for most of my driving, in other words a variety of cars and vans. Some of them with satnavs that just don’t cut it, or are insanely complcated to use, or don’t work properly, or aren’t there.
I usually use HERE (we go). Far from perfect, but easy to use and you can download all the maps and use it offline.

The base is a €2.99 travel mug from Woolworth’s, weighed down with lead pellets from one of those bracelet-thingies some people wear while jogging.
The swan neck is one of those for microphones. The screws go through the plastic lid and end in some sort of plug/anchor fashioned out of thread poles and washers buried deep in the pellets.
The clamp-thingy is from yer olde 1-€-shoppe; by sheer luck its base is threaded and mates perfectly with the swan neck.

How well does it work?
Basically fine, but a lot hinges on
(1) where the cup holders are placed
(2) weight of the tablet

I usually use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A in an Otter Box (as pictured), which is a comparatively heavy setup. Works fine as long as there is a cup holder in the centre console in front of the gear lever so that the tablet can lean on the upper part of the console or the dashboard for extra support. Which means that the swan neck’s flexibility is pointless.
Lighter tablets work much better, don’t need to lean on anything, so you can use the bendy swan neck to adjust the position of the tablet as desired and can use almost any cupholder near the driver’s seat.

It also works really well as a table mount. Like when you’re in a tiny hotel room and put it on the nightstand to watch a film. Or when you use a Bluetooth keyboard to write something, the display is at a very convenient height for that.

21 Likes

that doesn’t real

ditto

3 Likes

I salvaged a floor lamp with a gooseneck from the trash and got a phone holder for cars from the discount store with an eye for kludge-ing them together to make a hands-free stand for the phone/camera.
this was last year. guess my eye went blind.

was unaware of lead-pellet jogging weights. I used pellet-gun pellets (lead) for weighing down a project before, though.

6 Likes

Umm, not quite sure what you mean here

2 Likes

now you know how I feel

2 Likes

They are Indonesian bladed things. A golok is 12-15 inch machete. A karambit is a weapon held in the reverse grip with a short, hooked blade and a ring for securing the index finger. A kucang is a knife used in the Cikalong and Cimande styles of the martial art of Pencak Silat. The shape makes it useful for catching and trapping

14 Likes

and the kucang

12 Likes

Ooh, I like the karambits

6 Likes

@nixiebunny, https://www.tindie.com/products/dekuNukem/exixe-miniture-nixie-tube-driver-modules

Still want a jointer? I have a smallish (3" or 4") craftsman with new blades available. Don’t know if we’re close enough for it to be worth shipping though.

5 Likes

Definitely! I’m in Massachusetts. Any idea how much it weighs?

4 Likes