Mall robot is programmed to detect when kids are about to bully it, and take evasive action

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/12/mall-robot-is-programmed-to-de.html

2 Likes
11 Likes

So in this case, the children aren’t willing to be agents of their own subjugation by machines, but parents won’t fuck with the little robot monsters.

I suppose this research will come in handy for the day the robots are programmed to fight back!

12 Likes

There are other ways to handle it, too:

13 Likes

It’s just a metal and plastic swine. Fuck the police.

12 Likes

Is this programming or AI? AIs are notorious for finding outside-the-box solutions to problems.

1 Like

A proximity sensor connected to a flamethrower would have been easier to develop than that simulation software.

5 Likes

and yet we will wonder why the machines hate us so much when the machine uprising begins,

be nice to robots, they might be angels in disguise …or terminators.

7 Likes

Lord of the Flies was accurate.

10 Likes

I sure wish this creepy robot would bug off… Hey you kids over there! Come here and help me quash this junk!

2 Likes

This would have been a problem in the 70s if America had malls and robots in them. But no way a gaggle of kids would be left unsupervised just roaming around a mall today.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Man, that comment thread is full of people who love robots more than human children, and THAT is the most terrifying realization that I’ll come to from this study.

4 Likes

What is this “mall” thing?

8 Likes

that comment thread is full of people who love robots more than human children

I absolutely feel the opposite.

You can’t cook robots.

6 Likes

I welcome our future robot overlords and am grateful to these children for volunteering themselves for the top of the deactivation list.

6 Likes

11 Likes

programmedtofeelpain

12 Likes

24 Likes

I’d love to see a Wes Anderson movie about a Mall Robot

2 Likes