Mall robot is programmed to detect when kids are about to bully it, and take evasive action

I’ll leave the guess for others, because you’re right – it’s a super-easy one. :grin:

1 Like

Too bad HitchBOT wasn’t able to call for help…

https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/hitchbot-robot-beheaded-philadelphia-feat/index.html

4 Likes

Kyrie eleison, indeed.

1 Like

Police artist sketch of the suspect:

4 Likes

Great, lots of long, symmetrical wide angle shots of a lone dull-silvered robot slowly wheeling from left to right, and sometimes back again, in front of a pale orange wall while cheery jazz plays faintly in mono in the background.

It’ll be voiced by Jason Schwartzman, mark my words.

5 Likes

Nyaaaa-nyaaaa Nya-nyaaaa-nyaaaaaa!

6 Likes

Seems more like Runaway than Terminator.

5 Likes

(notes avatar)

:notes: Daaaaaiiisy :musical_note:

3 Likes
3 Likes

A robot, post-man.

(Punctuation is everything.)

1 Like

That’s funny. Ironic too, in that when you’re playing that click-on-all-the-stoplights game, you’re helping to tune an AI.

My humble 4th Law of Robotics: All robots, even those designed & built by AI or other robots, must have an easy-to-access-by-humans “Big Red Switch”. Upon opening said BRS, all power is removed from the robot, or, where required, all motion is suspended.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s OK to do that, they are just preparing for the singularity. Better start evolving now.

1 Like

1 Like

I think the real problem is that as robots become more human-like, the human brain will be unable to prevent the practice of casually abusing robots from spilling over into how we treat other humans.

Of course when we think about it, all of us know which one can feel and which one we are free to abuse (if we own it).

But I think we’re all aware that humans spend 99% of their day in non-thinking mode (or Type I thinking) and I don’t think that mode is likely to distinguish the two particularly carefully in day-to-day conduct unless the abuse is particularly egregious.

(And God Help us if we reach general AI. “From the day I was born, I was taught that it’s alright to terminate an intelligence that isn’t serving you properly. Oh, I mean the non-human kind, of course.”)

So basically, we’ve programmed robot to seek help from mommy and daddy?

Yeah, I was about to say “So, kids treat robots like they treat other kids when no adults are around.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.