Man arrested after trying to ram through FBI gates in Atlanta (video)

Possibly everyone was updating their protocols after the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing?

3 Likes

The timeline certainly works out; the barracks bombing was sandwiched between two separate embassy bombings(April of 83 and then upon reopening in Awkwar in September of 84).

My surprise isn’t so much about who was interested in the standard or ended up using it; just in the fact that it ended up as a DoS standard(I honestly didn’t even know they had those; and they don’t seem to have all that many; the only other one I could locate was STD-01.01) rather than becoming a DoD standard; since the DoD just has so many more of them and a much longer and broader interest in matters of fortification and control of movement.

To the best of my knowledge it being a DoS standard didn’t really change anything in practice: to this day vendors still commonly refer to it alongside the ASTM standard that was intended to supersede it; and DoD ‘force protection’ applications in places where you can’t just go full Czech hedgehogs and land mines pull from the same sources; it’s kind of weird that it ended up getting classified that way.

2 Likes

My only excuse is “DAMN YOU, AUTOCORRECT!” :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m absolutely not in favor of FBI personnel getting attacked by ‘domestic extremists’; but it’s hard not to see this as a (relatively) preferable option given their very limited qualms about a variety of much softer targets. The local public library that isn’t banning books fast enough doesn’t exactly have DOS K12 rising wedge barriers and a swarm of local security.

3 Likes

Did he drive a Dodge?

2 Likes

Of all the wackadoodle MAGA delusions, the idea that the FBI is a partisan Woke enclave of liberalism is one that still makes me shake my head. Somehow it can’t be that it’s because TFG keeps commiting Federal crimes that merit Investigation. They, and he, insist they’re investigating him because they’re colluding with the Democratic party. As you say, I don’t want them attacked, but this is something they can handle a hell of a lot easier than libraries, schools, voting officials, etc.

Everyone was updating their physical security protocols after the 1983 Beirut bombing – in 1987 I talked with a guy who had a consulting contract for that exact work.

2 Likes

obviously not.

2 Likes

This is what Capitol Hill looks like today. Lots and lots of anti-terrorism barricades.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.