Man attempts to stowaway in jet engine

The youtube source says it’s Congo, which narrows it down to two.

3 Likes

Yes.

I prefer ‘stole away’, furtive emphasis

1 Like

Only one had Air Afrique flights, the Republic Of The Congo.

Could he be a Pygmy?

6 Likes

No, “stow away” is a verb. “Stowaway” is a noun.

6 Likes

If he were white, this teenager would be referred to as a child.

12 Likes

Air Afrique serves both [Brazzaville and Kinshasa] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Afrique_destinations), but

It’s Congo-Brazzaville.

5 Likes

You may have missed the fact that in the link you posted there was a space between the word ‘stow’ and the word ‘away’. So, no, ‘stowaway’ is not a verb, but ‘stow away’ is. As the link you posted stated…
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 22.49.59

Whereas ‘stowaway’ is a noun.

5 Likes

Its a small bizjet and the wheel bays would certainly have been too small.

@wphurley

Its a small engine and the boy seemed to take up a lot of space. I wondered if they could get the engine started with its airflow so restricted. Also, maybe he’d jump out when the turbines started to move.

2 Likes

If you are lost at sea, remember, you can always catch a ride in a shark’s mouth.

3 Likes

So he hid with the expectation of being flown away… or hid for the sake of hiding until the coast was clear?

3 Likes

The officials look smarter than a whole shitload of US citizens; they’re wearing masks.

11 Likes

Keep in mind, English is the language that does not just borrow words; on occasion it follows other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
(apologies to James D. Nicoll)

9 Likes

And no one is brandishing weapons, at least not in the frame of the video, so clearly not something that happened in the US.

6 Likes

He survived. So it was a failed entry.

1 Like

That is hardly the case. If he was fleeing from North Africa to Europe, then he likely has already been detained in Libyan prisons where the corrupt organizations ask them for money to bring them to a shore where they can embark for a trip to the nearest EU country.

They’ll do anything to escape that hell, including risking their life on boats also during winter and adverse weather conditions; the Mexican wall pales in comparison.

This is what happens sometimes. Warning: do not open this link if you’re empathic; one picture in particular made the news over here years ago and I saw it multiple times, but it still hurts a lot.

What I find revolting are all those far right nationalists who would rather leave those people drown rather than save them. I have no other adjectives for them, except that they’re the scum of the human race.

10 Likes

Good points re: dimensions & configuration.

Had he remained during spin-up, his body may have occupied enough space to choke airflow to the turbine effectively stalling the engine.

You’d hope that the JFS noise would have prompted him to egress prior to engine start.

That said, once foreign matter does enter the compression stages, even small objects can cause carastrophic FOD and engine shred.

Have you ever seen (live or on tape) a prop break-uo st idle rotation speed. Multiply that times 1,000 and your at idle speed rotation of a jet engine. Shrapnel is unforgiving.

I hated marshalling props. The “plane of rotation” markers freaked me out.

3 Likes

Sigh… I didn’t need to see that. I did anyway. I feel a bit drained by it. A fan of filmed deaths i am not. It’s hard enough to deal with peaceful deaths working hospice.

The whole “he does his own stunts” thing must drive the movie underwriters to drink. On the one hand, it’s part of the Tom Cruise Star thing, on the other hand, any injury could blow the whole shooting schedule to bits, or worse. On the gripping hand, Cheers!

2 Likes

He didn’t die, the lucky bastard; that was the point. Those two articles were for the same incident.

2 Likes

Apparently, the way the Mission Impossible films work is that Cruise, the writers & director plan the major stunt sequences based on their notions of breaking thrilling new ground. Once they’ve got the stunts story boarded, they plot and write the film.

By way of bad analogy, its like making a bullet then designing a gun to fire it.

4 Likes