Man banned from touching cars

Originally published at: Man banned from touching cars - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Admittedly, when I clicked the baity headline, I was expecting his alleged crime to be more Vancian in nature. A basic B&E pales to the weirdness potential out there.

“But m’lord, I only wanted to show it a good time.”

14 Likes

May he touch something which is touching said cars? (i’m reminded to believe legal wordings tend to be precise about such matters) …a crowbar leaps to mind.

4 Likes

Can cars touch him or does that cost extra?

9 Likes

Yes, I think the headline was rather leading us in that direction… and not just because of the knowledge that there are a lot of car fetishists.

3 Likes

Rehab is probably more effective, even with poor success rates for compelled courses, than prison.

5 Likes

OK, first thought:

7 Likes

I was expecting something more J. G. Ballard-like.

He dreamed of ambassadorial limousines crashing into jack-knifing butane tankers, of taxis filled with celebrating children colliding head-on below the bright display windows of deserted supermarkets. He dreamed of alienated brothers and sisters, by chance meeting each other on collision courses on the access roads of petrochemical plants, their unconscious incest made explicit in this colliding metal, in the heamorrhages of their brain tissue flowering beneath the aluminized compression chambers and reactions vessels.

― J.G. Ballard, Crash

8 Likes

With his skill set, he could work on behalf of banks and other financial institutions repossessing cars when the registered owners default on their car loans. (Since the banks hold the vehicle title, he would be “stealing” them back at the behest of the owners/lienholders.)

2 Likes

This had better be about Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories, probably a crime of ludicrous male vanity or pride, maybe with some ioun stones.

Because any other kind of “Vancian” needs a smack down!

/shakes tiny angry fist! :grin:

5 Likes

I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm.

4 Likes

The Mercury Mistress.

2 Likes

The other Vance also tells stories about crimes “of ludicrous male vanity or pride”.

5 Likes

Hey! All of Jack Vance’s Dying Earth main characters were deeply flawed individuals, but not a one could be described as a tawdry furniture fluffer! :rofl:

4 Likes

I like touching the cars at Concours d’Elegance. Hopping in and rolling the windows up and down. You know. the usual.

3 Likes

20-minute chase through the historic East End of Sheffield

Does the Lower Don Valley count as Historical?

1 Like

7 Likes

They are a bad lot.

top_gear_season_16_hosts

Obligatory

6 Likes

There are car fetishists and then there are car fetishists.

2 Likes

And in the case of some of them Car Fascishists

2 Likes