Man bit on the penis by a cobra while pooping

Well, at least I feel better about how my week is going.

2 Likes

it was the safe route, and i took it.

2 Likes

When snakes are out here biting wangs, I am 100% on the side of the safe path.

2 Likes

yer doin’ it wrong

Crap on a cobra they said, it’ll be funny.

12 Likes

And I thought “Butt Spiders” were a problem.

2 Likes

Ok - so now is the time to bore you all with my ‘snakes while pooping’ story.

As concisely as I can…

1977, Sumatra. Walking cross-country. Staying with indigenous very rural locals. Ask where ‘toilet’ is. Am pointed to large field. I get the message. Find spot in middle of field and squat. Mid-poop (have not pooped for a day or three, so laying a solid log) I detect some movement in my peripheral vision. A small snake (maybe 18-24 ins long) slithers from behind-left to right-away about a yard in front of me. It doesn’t stop, and my reaction was (a) ready to jump even mid-log but (b) it’s moving away from me and I need to get this log out. So I did not move - but it was a VERY close-run thing! It went on its way and so did I. Thankfully we moved on, the next day, so no more open-field pooping for me! Phew!

3 Likes

Why would you record that???

I’m going to just watch this on loop for a bit.

4 Likes

“Doctor say you gonna die!”

8 Likes

My new metal band.

There, I said it.

10 Likes

Was this headline generated by an AI? If so, very well done!

Running Away Honey Badger GIF

7 Likes

it was sarcasm dear

1 Like

as was mine

huzzah!

This happened to me once…except it was in the wilds of Florida, and it was a swarm of bees.

3 Likes

Pretty sure this is not the first case of scrotal necrosis…

Maybe the first case associated with cobra bite.

2 Likes

Those Cobra’s don’t take shit from anyone.
Had his treatment been further delayed he may have qualified for the Noball Prize - posthumously.

3 Likes

A snake has two fangs separated by the width of its mouth, so there were probably two injections. And it seems that most cobra bites are subcutaneous, rather than intramuscular or intravenous, so the injected venom would be able to travel locally under the skin.

And holy crap is that stuff an unhealthy mix of neurotoxins (nerve damage / paralysis) and cytotoxins (aka “flesh eating”). The average venom yield of an Egyptian cobra is 175 to 300 mg in a single bite (the Egyptian cobra is the closest relative I could find with published venom yield), and the subcutaneous LD50 value of a banded cobra is 1.98 mg/kg. That means if the strike enters a vein (rare), the average dose is enough venom to klll a 250 pound human. And if it’s subcutaneous and doesn’t spread throughout the body, the cytotoxins are going to kill the tissue wherever it remains. It’s not a stretch to understand damage to more than one organ in the region.

There’s a lot of veins running through the groin, but the scrotum is among the most physically isolated tissues in the male body. If the venom pooled there instead of pumping around his bloodstream or running down inside his thigh, their sacrifice may have saved his legs, if not his life.

2 Likes

Oh, hell no!
The descriptions are the stuff of nightmares, & I’m out of Eye Bleach.

3 Likes

The last line of the paper is a little less serious than the rest:

Our take home message? Always flush the toilet before sitting down in countries notorious for their snake population!

And yeah, the photos are definitely not for everyone. You’ll be just fine if you don’t see them.

2 Likes