Man exercising right to open carry robbed at gun point

Why don’t you just try to take it, sonny boy.

7 Likes

The Irony Field is still expanding.

If your side is willing to endure horrific kill ratios, I’d say yes.

Mogadishu, Iraq, and Afghanistan are all examples of this (not exclusively small arms - but if you can take over a military depot with small arms you no longer solely have small arms).

2 Likes

An interesting follow-up: Open-carry rally held to protest Walmart shooting.

1 Like

I know, he totally should have used the magic word: “please” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m really very pro-gun, but there’s not much to this story other than a charming bit of irony and, indeed, the victim behaving rationally in the circumstance. The other guy has (a) a gun that’s (b) already pointed at you. You give him your firearm. Unless you are Bob Munden, you aren’t going to get a shot off in time. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqABkG1JpHM). Most gun owners I know would have done the same thing.

I’m all for lots of folks carrying with a CCW. But I think open carry is a mostly sort of passively-aggressively rude, a bit silly, and sillier here with a pistol meant for plinking bottles.

3 Likes

Bwahahahahahaha

This is a gun:

Look at it. It’s sole purpose of existence is to kill.

You might argue it’s a “hobby” or “defense” but this is how the majority of sane people view it.

If you can understand that then you can understand why the majority of us disagree with you.

3 Likes

“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”, That special little nonsensical something provided by NRA…

A lot of fundie gun advocates imagine themselves as vigilante cowboys with a swinging dick that can murder all those who oppose them. The mere presence of their thick black murderpenis should be enough to cow all the lesser males into submission! Of COURSE when someone points that out to be an absurd lie, they’re going to react with hostility.

Really, the root cause is fear. Insecurity. Gun fundamentalists aren’t much different than other wingnuts in this regard. They imagine the gun will protect them, just as wingnut Christians imagine the Bible will protect them and wingnut Muslims imagine sharia will protect them. They’re all deeply wrong, of course. The only thing that will protect them, really, is other people. Forming mutual attachments with others. Trusting them and being worthy of trust from them. But that’s scary and hard work, so they don’t.

And it’s worth noting that gun fundies are not the same as gun owners (just as wingnut Muslims are not the same as Muslims). I think it’s the duty of responsible gun owners to unite with the majority gun-free rest of the populace in shutting down the gun fundies. After all, if the only people who speak for you are the wingnuts…

3 Likes

The Walther P22 is a pistol for plinking cans and shooting paper targets. It shoots a small .22lr round. It makes it a piss poor weapon for trying to kill someone, especially in a full sized gun like that. Just like putting your 4 cylinder engine into a Corvette body won’t make it a race car, making a .22lr pistol look “tactical” doesn’t make it a killing machine.

The reason so many “sane” people view such a gun as having the “sole purpose of existence is to kill” is because they are not exposed to and completely ignorant of the 99% of the actual uses of firearms. Their exposure is the 1% of misuse of gun violence on the news, and the rest is fantasy on TV, movies, and video games, giving them a warped view of reality.

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on open carry here. I get the point. The point is “most people who own guns hurt no one and you shouldn’t be afraid of them”. This is a sentiment I agree with and have extolled. But too many people go about the wrong way. Even if it is their right, it doesn’t make it appropriate.

For example, I own guns, and I own a shirt that says “Fuck you, you fucking fuck” on it. Both are my right to wear. I would expect both will get me weird looks and make people uncomfortable in most situations.

From a tactical standpoint it is foolish. As many proponents of concealed carry will point out, having an exposed weapon gives you a giant bullseye in the event someone wants to do people harm. They of course are going to neutralize you first. This is one reason cops are so heavy handed, I think, because they have the mentality they are perpetual targets. Which is true, to a degree.

4 Likes

Do the bullets in the cylinders drop backwards, then pass through the wearers urethra to reach the chamber?

Catheter Upgrades, for when you’re pissed off that your piss is off.

1 Like

Nah my positions clear, open carry as presented by most of its proponents is foolish, fool fashion.

Seems Unlikely that he would have been robbed of a firearm if the person who specifically approached him to rob him of his firearm had been unaware of it due to it being concealed.

Causation isn’t blame. Or, as William “Bill” Munny was once heard to say, “Deserves got nothing to do with it”

I’ve never used the acronym LOL until now.

I don’t get it-- you’re comparing instances of the government infringing on someone’s Constitutional rights with a guy getting robbed.

He still has his 2nd amendment rights, the thief stole his gun, not his gun rights, and the government had nothing to do with it.

I’m guessing you’re just pissed that people are laughing at an open carry supporter. Get over it.

5 Likes

I hadn’t really thought about it until after I posted the image, I just imagined that it worked because bullets.

2 Likes

I’m not going to tell you that there aren’t plenty of anti-gun boingboing commenters, a reasonable person would probably say I’m one of them - I don’t like guns and I think the second amendment is ridiculous and anachronistic (Other countries don’t have similar constitutional rights and many of them are much, much further from being police states than America so I would say it’s manifestly not working).

But the BoingBoing curators are not universally anti-gun, this is not an anti-gun site. Imagine if your first post had been something like, “This is a story about a person being robbed at gunpoint. I understand that people find it ironic, but it feels like we are being told to laugh at the victim of a crime.” And left out the BoingBoing-is-bad and the people-who-have-discussions-here-are-bad angle:

Maybe you are convinced you would have gotten the same reaction. I can tell you I wouldn’t have reacted the same way. I think the point that we probably should think twice before we laugh at people who get robbed at gunpoint is probably a good one to make. Ultimately I think you brought a good point to the discussion but I had to sift through a lot of hostility and personal attacks to read it between the lines.

I’m really glad to see this. That WalMart shooting was a perfect example of one of the reasons I don’t like open carry. When you carry around a gun openly, to many people you are communicating the message, “As a white man, I can be dangerous and intimidating in public and no one will say anything.” But it’s nice to know that the open-carry people don’t think that it should be only for white people.

“Guns don’t kill people, a society that emphasizes the rights of individuals to have guns over that person’s responsibility to society kills an abnormally high number of people compared to its peers.”

9 Likes

Fine on any woman and on men who look older than 35-40. It’s just a matter of avoiding the context of “youngster in a fedora” that we have all come to know and love from the internet.

You look sterling in one, @jlw. Not that you’re old, or anything.

8 Likes

Look at barrel length, grip ergonomics. Consider the almost complete lack of recoil. Many enthusiasts will lessen the trigger pull on a weapon like this one, its maker known for excellent mechanics.

That short-barreled honey is intended to put multiple rounds into a very near target in very fast succession. It is not a plinking target shooter despite the probability that plinking is the largest market for the 22lr round.

1 Like

Wait - how does that gun even work?