Man exercising right to open carry robbed at gun point

You point the hole at the other guy.

The whole logic of open-carry protests, that “they are coming for our guns, so we have to show support for gun rights by parading around with guns” always seems like those movies where someone goes back in time to prevent something happening. . . and ends up causing it to happen.

4 Likes

Updated NRA Mantra:
“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with two guns.”

1 Like

I’ve never heard it suggested by any respected self defense instructor, cop, or military trained person - people who train to use a gun in real life violence as part of their job - that the .22lr is a legit self defense round. The only viable niche I’ve heard is the small, pocket .22lr as a holdout, last ditch weapon. A weapon that is just one notch better over unarmed. I’ve only seen it seriously recommended to people who are old or injured that can’t handle the recoil of something larger. Criminals use cheap pocket pistols like the Jennings for concealability. No one I know would trade their full sized 9mm for a full sized .22lr in a self defense situation. No police agency allows .22lr as their carry weapon. It lacks penetration and has a small wound channel.

Despite looking cool, the P22 isn’t made for that. Yeah, it is fun to shoot and you can shoot it quickly. People use guns like this for bowling pin and steel plate shooting - trying to knock down 5 targets in under a second. There are a lot of other pistols that are full sized .22lr that have higher caliber variants. For example you can get a kit to convert your .45 acp 1911 to .22lr. This lets you practice with getting familiar with the mechanics while being much cheaper to shoot.

1 Like

I had to look the things up. To me, as much of a non-connoisseur of guns as it is possible to be, the pistol just looks kind of generically pistol-like, neither especially ugly or especially elegant.

The rifle though - that thing is insane. It’s Ford Edsel-level goofy looking.

1 Like

I am not just old.

I think the conversation going on entirely in @k24k’s head is more than enough for the whole topic.

10 Likes

I keep missing these threads when all the fun is happening! huff*

1 Like

I used to wonder the same thing about Fort Worth, my second-favorite city in Texas (see @Bobo’s comment about Austin). Did the City of Ft. Worth receive some kind of compensation for the “Cops” ride-alongs? Is there a mentality in that part of the state that enjoys seeing the detainment of the impecunious? Both?

1 Like

[quote=“dragonfrog, post:125, topic:42545, full:true”]
I had to look the things up. To me, as much of a non-connoisseur of guns as it is possible to be, the pistol just looks kind of generically pistol-like, neither especially ugly or especially elegant.

The rifle though - that thing is insane. It’s Ford Edsel-level goofy looking.
[/quote]The pistols are basically just big, cheap, plastic-y, unreliable guns. The ugliness mostly follows from that - It looks cheap and nasty, because that’s precisely what it is. It’s more of a fit-and-finish thing, rather than being the most unappealing shape or any of that. “Generic pistol-shaped thing” is basically the most accurate description. Bloody thing looks like something a prison inmate would carve out of soap for an escape attempt.

The rifles, though, yeah, they look pretty wierd - but unlike the pistols, which are known for their past unreliability, the carbines are actually well liked, in spite of their… unconventional appearance.

Yeah, that’s what my wife said. But when I turned 40 she moved the goalpost to 50.

8 Likes

Grew up with guns – still “own” several (~1700 miles away). Enjoy going to the range with my brother-in-law when I go back home to visit.
Don’t understand open carry at all… Even in the context of hunting – when I was a kid, it was not considered good practice to have a loaded gun anywhere near a road let alone near/inside a business (one loaded when one was well off the beaten path).
This guy with his .22 pistol (unloaded) was just playing cowboy – something that I got over when I was ~7 (tended to side more with the “Indians” anyway).
The other open carry yahoos seem to be just engaging in public masturbation with their powder penis. Especially those kids that like to stand in the baby products aisle at Target.

7 Likes

This portion of the conversation reminded me of this:

Suddenly I feel like I should shave.

1 Like

Concealed carry is so much more sensible, which is why I carry half a dozen concealed weapons.

I reckon, if someone’s prepared to put up with you til you’re 50, then a daft hat’s not gonna make any difference.

2 Likes

Wearing it as bravado or a cover up for extreme sense of insecurity ?

[quote=“Gyrofrog, post:133, topic:42545, full:true”]
This portion of the conversation reminded me of this:
[/quote]By a weird coincidence, I’m currently reading Get Shorty for the first time. Funny how these things line up like that, eh?

2 Likes

Come on. Guns are CLEARLY a problem and need to be banned.

Oh, wait, Read this first…

2 Likes