Man in bulletproof vest and carrying "tactical" rifle arrested in WalMart

Open carry makes me want to leave immediately, because it implies one of two things.
One possibility is that I have misjudged the risk of violence and that he is right about it. If that is the case my safety is best insured by not being there. The other possibility is that I am right, but there is somebody with a gun and poor judgement walking around. If that is the case, my safety is best insured by not being there. Either way, there is nothing I can buy in Walmart worth dying for.

Edited to add. That’s the thing, it doesn’t matter which one of us is right. I should leave. And of course that is why it makes sense for many businesses ban the carrying of firearms. I am amused by how these guys are triggered by a private business telling them that they are not welcome on their property with guns.

30 Likes

Open carry is seriously boneheaded garbage, whose only goal apparently is intimidating the public.
They didn’t even permit this shit in days of “The Wild West”.

30 Likes

Anyone know if the laws that cover restrictions on conceal and carry into buildings applies to open carry? I live in Minnesota and my workplace has one of the no-guns placards on the front entrance so I have to wonder if such placards also apply in this instance.

2 Likes

Where did the Black Panthers go with their guns though? Did they wear them while at various events, where they perhaps had a genuine reason to fear for their own lives, or the life of someone they were protecting? Or did they flaunt them while shopping in department stores and coffee shops like the gun dorks being discussed in this thread? I honestly don’t know the history so I’m asking.

4 Likes

Not only are American ammosexuals responding to what they see as a societal loss of privilege (because, as the saying goes, equality feels like oppression to them), but there’s usually a deep insecurity on a personal level about their own masculinity that causes them to display their weapons collections. For these types, it’s a feeling of impotence all the way down.

21 Likes

what do you think? what could possibly be a reason for black people in the 60s to carry a gun?

At its inception on October 15, 1966,[6] the Black Panther Party’s core practice was its armed citizens’ patrols to monitor the behavior of officers of the Oakland Police Department, a practice later known as copwatching, and challenge police brutality in the city.

21 Likes

The Black Panthers initially and for a long time carried long-tube pump shotguns and M1 carbines. The M1s were military(-grade) weapons, and they were semi-auto much like the guns used for these mass shootings. The term “assault rifle” wasn’t really catching on yet, but the M1 is as close as the US got coming out of WW2/Korea. It shot a recoil-reduced round (much like 5.56mm NATO), expressly for the purposes of larger capacity and for easy operation by non-frontline troops. That’s the same function as most “assault rifles” serve today, like the M4A1, as a PDW. That’s more or less what the Dayton asshole was carrying, a military “personal defense weapon.”

As for the question you eventually arrive at, how to parse the difference between the BPP and white supremacist or misogynist mass shooters, it’s pretty damn easy for me. The BPP weren’t going around shooting innocent people. The BPP represented an actually oppressed group, rather than bunch of whiny infantile crackers. AND violence wasn’t the goal of the BPP; most of their efforts went to various forms of neighborhood assistance and education. So, really, if you’re looking for a difference, it’s not hard to find one.

Sorry to be blunt/tetchy about this. Too many people are blind to such obvious distinctions.

EDIT: I see that, while I was trying to calm my ass down and tone down my response, a lot of people got there first. But I’ll leave my response because I worked hard to shape it to be worthwhile.

39 Likes

Coming soon to a town near you. It makes me not want to go shopping and just rely on home delivery.

1 Like

mature would be one obvious concern, how about emotionally stable or not mentally ill? Are we really comfortable with the difference between a good guy with a gun and an active shooter being if a hostile individual(s) or innocent person is bullet riddled and falling to the ground?

Also as a former cashier, would I question someone’s insistence on a discounted price, knowing it was incorrect, if they had an assault rifle on their back?

9 Likes

If your hobby is “provocateur”, you need a new hobby.

Might I suggest model trains?

I’m sure he was recording this to put on his youtube channel, ostensibly to prove . . . something.

“See?!! I told you I’d get arrested! Amerca ain’t free no more!”

17 Likes

I’m sure the Gentleman was just there to stop anyone coming to harm from those Videogames.

30 Likes

I’m not the one that needs convincing. I was in fact suggesting they probably had more cause for being armed than the Wal-Mart shopper or the Dunkin Donuts customer.

Assault rifles such as AK and AR variants weren’t generally available to the public either back then either. M-1 carbines were dumped on the public after the Korean War and even given out for free by the American Legion.

In the 1990’s with the fall of the USSR, the US got flooded with cheap AK variants. Average cost between $200-$500.

The Assault Weapons Ban killed a lot of the importation of these guns. Making domestic AR’s and cheap knockoffs more popular In the 1990’s an AR-15 cost about $2,000-$2,500, today a cheap variant is somewhere around $700 or less.

Well said.

8 Likes

Or in the case of Starbucks, getting their name right.

8 Likes

I am from the South, and I came back to the South to teach because a) the job market was shit, and b) I thought there might be people like me who needed some help. So here I am in Alabama, and assholes like this are everywhere. So what do I do? Well, if the guy just has a Glock or something showing under his waistband, I try to ignore it, but if I’m with my kids, I shepherd them away. So, basically, I treat concealed carry as “normal.” This is, after all, fucking Alabama.

If it’s open carry, GTFO. That dude is not right in the head, and he’s got a deadly weapon. Also, and this is where people might get angry with me, but look at that fucking gun the Dayton asshole had. It’s a dick and balls. It is such obvious compensation. The chip on the shoulder is so obvious. They are spoiling for a chance to hurt someone. I don’t want to be there when it happens.

36 Likes

Trying to shame people who do shameful things as a deterrent to doing said shameful things does not work. Shameless people can’t be shamed.

Same thing applies here. Trying to convince someone who enjoys and thinks open carry is their constitutional right regardless of the very apparent inherent issues will never see reason. You can’t “convince” them to buy into a reasonable request like: don’t fucking carry assault rifles into Wal-mart as if you are in downtown Saigon in 1972!

18 Likes

Thoughts and prayers

3 Likes

That sounds like a treat for babies who are teething.

3 Likes

hey, you wrote

I honestly don’t know the history so I’m asking

so theres that.

2 Likes

I’m trying to parse the mentality of someone willing to place a crowd of people at fear for their lives because he wanted to have a lot of likes on his video.

Also, tactical is seldom tactful.

6 Likes