Man jumped into lake to escape bees only to be eaten by piranhas

Honestly the dingo thing doesn’t work for me either. For the life of me I can’t understand why people think that’s funny, considering it was based on a real tragedy with a real baby, and the tragedy was compounded when the mother was wrongfully convicted of murder and spent years in prison.

I reluctantly accept the fact that the phrase is deeply ingrained in pop culture now, but I wish it wasn’t.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Sounds like the beginning of a Lei e Ordem episode:

Turns out, the two “friends” offed the third guy and tried to blame piranhas for it.

2 Likes

It could have been worse.

ARTHUR:
But what was wrong with your planet?

CAPTAIN:
Well it was doomed - as I said. Apparently it was going to crash into the sun. Or was it the moon that was going to crash into us?

NUMBER ONE:
No, no, I thought it was that the planet was more or less bound to be invaded by a gigantic swarm of twelve-foot piranha bees.

12 Likes

As a Virginia resident, I came here specifically to make that joke.

Thank you!

4 Likes

I’ve been dreading the results of the election so much I don’t even know if I’m disappointed, numb, or apathetic.

3 Likes

Ironically, the etymology of the phrase puts it back in this situation. The earliest usage is by a Greek poet, Caesar Germanicus, describing a rabbit trying to escape a dog by jumping into the sea, only to be eaten by a fish.

6 Likes

Yes to all of the above.

1 Like

We have a saying that involves carnivorous fish and cattle.

We usally say that when someone is sacrificed, or spontaneously decides to be discarded, it is called “Boi de Piranha” or in a swine translation: “An ox to the piranhas”.

People who live in the Brazilian hinterland say that when the herdsmen had to cross a river or lake with piranhas, they chose the oldest or sickest animal to be eaten by the hungry fishes, so the herd could cross the waters without being disturbed.

14 Likes

This story is generating a lot of buzz.

9 Likes

That method did not work, then. Good to know. :wink:

5 Likes

Clearly, the lesson to be learned from this incident is:
Be the second man into the water.

6 Likes

And got banned from Martha’s Vineyard

7 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

3 Likes

Or Bloefeld in You Only Live Twice.

This is how we do things here. We’re repeatedly jumping from bad sh*t to even worse sh*t for almost a decade, like in out of the pandemic into the economic breakdown.

[edited to correct formatting]

1 Like

Unless they are africanized bees. Those are real pricks and fight everything in their way.

1 Like

Bees vs Piranhas
B-movie script in the post

Next summer on SYFY

2 Likes

I heard there’s a swarm of them coming up from Mexico. Bad hombres!

7 Likes