Man killed in Utah park, bison attack suspected

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/30/man-killed-in-utah-park-bison.html

4 Likes

It’s a very cool place with a legit shit-ton of bison, maybe 35-40 minutes from downtown SLC. I was happy to spend most of my time in the car when the herd came past, so my pictures aren’t as good as some of the folks we went with.

@jlw @xeni’s posts aren’t linking to the BBS.

11 Likes

Phoebe Judge of Criminal did an episode on this island on her side podcast, This Is Love. It seems like bison attacks are very common here. Wouldn’t be my first choice of places to go running with headphones in.

8 Likes

Obligatory proper response to the presence of bison

15 Likes

Is this newsworthy just because we killed off so many wild animals that things like that are pretty rare? :thinking:

1 Like

In gif form…

giphy

8 Likes

I find that I really don’t like walking outside with headphones on. I want to hear what’s going on around me, whether I’m on a city street or out in open country.

Though I’ve never seen them visible from the trails, there is a bison herd at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, in a large, fenced-off portion of the grounds.

I hope nobody decides to get stupid and climb over the fence.

6 Likes

In similar news, but with more karma:

4 Likes

Truly the only proper reaction to a Bison coming your way. Remember the lady who tried to pet one? She’s lucky to be alive. I mean just look at the things. They’re bigger than you, they have horns, they travel in herds and most of all your in their territory now. Leave them alone.

6 Likes

Unless it’s an air bison…

YIP YIP!

But generally speaking, it’s a good idea to not fuck with animals as large as bison!

5 Likes

I am pretty sure you don’t want to be underneath a herd of them when they are flying by. Aerial bison patties!

4 Likes

3 Likes

We spied many at a distance when we were at Yellowstone, and yes they seem large. But it wasn’t until we saw a stuffed bison up close at the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman (MT) that we fully realized how huge they are. The one on display was 2-3 feet taller and longer than our our mini SUV. That’s when you know you won’t have a chance in hell if you stumble across their pathway.

4 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.