Man pranks conservative radio show by naming a ton of punk bands in his liberal bash

By contrast, Republicans like to have Sex with Pistols.

6 Likes

It’s a luxury of straight white males who think they’re safe from fascism to assume that sado-populists are “just joking” in the same harmless way that this caller is.

5 Likes

I never said all, I said clearly some are just screwing with the right for fun, clicks, and attention.

Sheesh.

Rule of goats.

5 Likes

No idea what that’s supposed to mean.

For the more sensitive minded…

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17930943

3 Likes

Still no idea.

That if someone is pretending to be on the far right “as a joke” at some point they are still actively promoting far right ideas and are indistinguishable from the actual far right.

5 Likes

I disagree. Screwing with the far right is fun. And until election season, where I can use the most powerful tool I have, it passes the time.

Sorry if it’s not the way you would do things but it certainly doesn’t mean I’m promoting far right ideas.

If one is doing the same work, then it just makes things worse for the rest of us. I don’t think this is a case of the rule of goats, but the “targets” don’t get the joke, so it’s kind of pointless. But some of us got a good laugh out of it.

I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking about people who pretend to be far right to “pwn” the far right, but who do so by helping to push them farther to the right. I have no idea what you do or don’t do, other than what you’ve communicated here. But anyone who posts racists, misogynistic, transphobic, hateful, etc memes to “pwn” the far right because it’s “more extreme” and that will show them… all they are doing is promoting hatred. :woman_shrugging:

Considering how bad things have gotten and how much meme culture played a role that the practitioners claimed were just “jokes”… well… it’s part of how we got here today. We need to take this stuff seriously, because we’re not “joking” our way out of this present political situation we’re in.

6 Likes

I do take it seriously but the only solution or at least the best chance at reversing this is to vote them out. As far as the guy down the street or the person posting racist crap on YouTube or Facebook, what is the solution to change their behavior? Last time I confronted someone me and the wife got violent threats, I would kind of like to avoid violence.

But that’s not the only thing to do, though. Our only options are not tr0lling them like they do and voting. We can speak out, protest, write letters, sign petitions, and challenge people seriously on their bigoted world views.

Agreed. I’m sorry that happened to you. And you have to make those choices as best you can and sometimes putting yourself or your loved ones in harms way isn’t what you want to do. But these are bullies, and bullies can be stood up to. In the case of violent threats aimed at you or your family, you have legal recourse to remedy that problem (which will probably go smoother if you and your family are white). You can also put it out in the public and get greater support from your community (whether that’s online or IRL) against bullying.

It also strikes me that “tr0lling” the right can also put you in a position of danger if it’s uncovered that you’re making light of them. The only thing a bully hates more than not being threatening is being made a fool of. Much like standing up to them (which has a better track record with the right support), mocking them can have violent consequences…

Just in general, as Kurt Vonnegut said (and I’m paraphrasing) we have to be careful about what we pretend to be, because we are what we pretend to be.

6 Likes

And for those white straight cisgender guys who aren’t effected by that fallout- it’s ineffective and counterproductive to winning when you do vote.

9 Likes

Meanwhile, the base of the QOP is waiting in Dallas for the Dead Kennedys. It’s enough to give you the Cramps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.