Man promises to eat potatoes only for 2016

That was practically the case before the famine struck. The famine was so bad because of the failure of the potato crops in successive years, wiping out a staple food of the poor. It didn’t have to become a famine just because the potato crops were blighted, but bad/wrong/sometimes downright evil policy decisions guaranteed it became one because money.

edit=brain farts

5 Likes

Brought to you by Peru:

3 Likes

2kg of potatoes is still on average less than 18 (maybe 13ish). Smaller potatoes would be 18 for sure per 2kg.

But, this guy’s calculation is 1kg potato and 1kg milk. They would have to be very small potatoes indeed.

2 Likes

Yeah, Ireland technically had enough food for everyone even with the potatoes dying…in the fields of rich who Englishmen more interesting in exporting the grain “they” (really irish people being made to work land they didn’t own or benefit from) were growing and were the kind of proto-eugenicists classists who didn’t see the famine as a problem.

Remarkably similar to how Britain ended up treating India during famines, Ireland is kind of who the british empire practiced on before moving on to other “lesser” peoples.

6 Likes

may I introduce myself? I’m “this guy”: P

mostly I didn’t believe the 18 pounds amount chgoliz remembered and played with the numbers - the 1kg/1L is survivable and does not require to eat a bag of tubers

3 Likes

Does this belong in the butts thread?!

6 Likes

Sheep milk? Goat milk? Cow milk? Soy milk? Almond milk?

Hint: if the liquid looks milky, it’s a form of milk.

1 Like

We’re rootin’ for you anyway!

3 Likes

So the juice of milkweed is milk?

(Just toxic milk, instead of nutritious milk)

It’s called “milkweed” because the liquid is milky, so yeah.

And you’re right: don’t drink it!

3 Likes

I did warn that my memory is not reliable! In my defense, I had a few moments while making dinner just now so I tried to find something that would help explain what I remember hearing. Here’s from History Ireland (Ireland’s history magazine), explaining that part of the issue was that when things got bad the Irish weren’t allowed to eat the better varieties, but instead had to subsist on only the Lumper potato:

The crucial question remains less how the Lumper compared with the Apple, the Cup, or the Minion than how it would rate against modern dry matter estimates. When compared with contemporary supermarket varieties, the Lumper’s weight-loss from cooking, as reported in 1840 – two ounces in every sixteen, was much greater. Thus a labourer’s daily intake of potatoes before the Famine (estimated at between 10 and 14 lbs!) was in reality reduced by the time it was consumed at the dinner table. Royal Dublin Society tests in the 1830s of the actual weight (specific gravity) of potato varieties found that the Lumper was the lowest at 1.084. The higher the specific gravity the ‘better’ the potato: potatoes with a specific gravity of one would float in water!

So, it was between 10-14 pounds of potatoes/day back before they were forced to eat only the less nutritious Lumpers, which would have required eating more to get the same amount of nutrition. So you see, I’m not totally crazy!

3 Likes

It is not commonly mentioned with the Irish, but chances were that they were not peeling the potatoes. Much of the nutrition is just under the skin and why would you throw away edible food during a famine.
The point being - I wonder if this guy is also leaving the jackets on. If not (or if so) how does that alter the nutrition calculation?

1 Like

No, if it comes out of a mammary gland, it’s milk.

1 Like

ORLY? (NSFW or life or anything really)

A trypophobia believer. Nice!

Only “phobia” where the “sufferers” seek out their bane.

1 Like

The blight was so dangerous because most of the peasantry had been pushed into a monoculture, and all the food that wasn’t potatoes that was being produced was being shipped out of the country. Ireland was a net exporter of food during the famine.

[ETA] Like, literally everyone beat me to this, but there is my two cents! :wink:

9 Likes

Not sure what Fight Milk comes out of, but it allows one to fight like a crow!

Photoshop doesn’t come out of a mammary gland, though. (And nor do lotus seeds.)

2 Likes

Not? And I hoped I found a sister in spirit : (

2 Likes