Man shoots and kills grocery store clerk in "dispute" over mask

What was the imminent threat here?

2 Likes

Yeah, of course. It’s one of the biggest ignored questions in American culture right now. The reality of our criminal justice system reveals our country for what it really is.

6 Likes

She disrespected him. Isn’t that enough?

1 Like

That makes it sound like there is a wall and a moat. Is Atlanta secretly a walled city? If so they should mention it in the tourism ads.

I think what I said was pretty clear.

6 Likes

Thoughts are all very well, but I bet one of those groups is doing a lot less praying for him than the other.

Thoughts and prayers. It is always thoughts AND fucking prayers.

Unless going out of the store to your car to get your gun and coming back in is premeditated.

Exactly right. Going out to your car, retrieving the gun, walking back into the store and pulling the trigger offers a multitude of chances to stop and rethink the course of action. This passed the point of “spontaneous” when he turned back toward the store with a gun in his hand. First degree all the way.

12 Likes

Don’t we all.

6 Likes

You can think about most major cities like that. There are usually ringed interstates (starting with an even number) that separate the outer burbs from the city. The residents of those outer burbs certainly think of it as a moat, but a moat in reverse, that keeps the riff raff from the city out of their precious little exclave.

To expand on what @Mindysan33 said earlier, Decatur is definitely not an exurb. There are nice gentrified parts, other parts that are definitely not gentrified, and all of it is urban. It’s not at all like Marietta or Acworth or any of the other suburbs outside the perimeter. It’s even more urban than parts of Atlanta, despite being a different town in a different county.

5 Likes

Having a gun in your car to begin with is arguably premeditated. Why would you have a gun in the first place if you weren’t planning on using it?

Yeah yeah self defense, but it’s more than likely this guy was spoiling for a fight, and a lot of people who carry guns are likewise.

7 Likes

I keep living in places with water based boundaries.

1 Like

What the police are charging him with are malice murder, aggravated assault on an officer and aggravated assault with intent to murder. Malice murder is, I believe, unique to the state of Georgia.

1 Like

Even in Florida, you’d have a difficult time persuading a jury that going back into the building after you had retrieved your gun was “standing your ground.”

5 Likes

I dunno where he works (if at all), but I think this is a worthy experiment.

2 Likes

Dehumanizing your opponents makes it a lot easier to inflict harm on them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.