Man unperturbed by armed robber

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/27/man-unperturbed-by-armed-robbe.html

7 Likes

“Look Cracky, I came in here to have a beer and a smoke and watch some cute cat videos on my phone. You do your thing, I’ll do mine. Now piss off.”

21 Likes

Wait, there are bars you can still smoke in? Is this video from 1983?

20 Likes

well, it IS a dive bar in st. louis.

10 Likes

Opposite of https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

Inactive Self Protection?

It looks like the kind of joint where you get kicked out if you don’t light up a cancer stick within 5 minutes.

6 Likes

I don’t think “gut feelings” are a good threat assessment. The assistant manager at a grocery store I worked at during high school got shot in the neck for simply being a bit flustered during an armed robbery.

I don’t think Tony’s so much brave as he is foolhardy – and quite lucky.

16 Likes

Found later in Tony’s pants…

10 Likes

Lots of things here, but the one that jumps out at me is from the news report, which says the police described the robber’s weapon as “a heavily modified pistol”.

Everything I know about guns I learned from the original Doom, but… say what???

Did he heavily modify it into a pump-action shotgun?

14 Likes

It doesn’t have to be foolhardiness. I don’t know about him, but some people (including me) don’t value own life all that much.

2 Likes

OMG, he’s smoking a cigarette! Doesn’t he have any idea how dangerous those are? Talk about risking death.

13 Likes

Well, you have to admit, turning it into a pump-action shotgun would not qualify as a “light” modification for a handgun.

6 Likes

4 Likes

It was the beer talking.

In fact I really wish there was audio.

8 Likes

A man who ran out of fucks.

9 Likes

It isn’t a pistol that has been modified. It is an off the shelf Hi-Point carbine.

Hi-Point makes cheap and ugly guns that actually have decent performance and reliability all while being made in the US. They are popular in poorer areas because they are affordable. One like this was in the news because a women in Chicago fended off a home invasion with one.

Anyway, it isn’t a pistol by legal definition. It is a rifle - though most people would call it a carbine which is a nebulous term that generally means a smaller rifle. It is based off of their pistol design, and thus it is limited to 10 round magazines. (They do sell 20 round magazines that are comically too long.)

It does use a bullet that typically is seen in handguns, so they are much smaller and less powerful than a typical rife round (10mm, 9mm, .45ACP .40SW, and .380ACP)

https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/firearms-accessories/firearm-access-carbines.php

7 Likes

Hah my old hood. Well close enough anyway.
Nice to know some things haven’t changed but sad to know it is that.

13 Likes

I know that and you know that…

And you apparently know that too :wink:

… but according to the news report at 0:45, the police think it’s “a modified pistol”.
Wut? Cops wrong? Who’da thunk, say it isn’t so etc. etc.

4 Likes

There are sooo many bars like this in South St. Louis. The only two things that surprise me about this clip. First is that there one only one crusty old white guy who refused to cooperate with the robber. Second, Tony made it through the interview without using some dog whistle racist comment like “South City is getting too dark.” I’m not saying Tony specifically is a racist, but an old white regular at a South City bar, chances are pretty good.

I really like living in STL, but man it’s got some problems.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the attempted coup d’etat in Spain where soldiers stormed the parliament and started shooting:

1 Like