Man who claimed wildfires were a government conspiracy was setting them himself

Originally published at: Wildfires were set by man who claimed they were a government conspiracy

3 Likes

Is “Quebec man” a thing in Canada, like how the U.S. has “Florida Man?”

I’d be more inclined to ask if Toronto Man is a thing because… you know…

18 Likes

“Is”? Or “was”? Should we start a thread?

The obligatory aside, it seems like Qnuttery is spreading across the border like … well, you know. Canadians should take this as another lesson that the country is not immune from the American political prison prion disease (indeed, doesn’t the new leader of the Conservative party play footsie with conspiracists?).

13 Likes

Someone check on that :thinking:

6 Likes

:thinking: Is restorative justice applied in cases like this? They could sentence this guy to plant trees for the rest of his life…

Earth Plant GIF by Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens

22 Likes
6 Likes

because he five blazes, over the courts of a month

what?

5 Likes

I kinda like this. They are very much like misfolded proteins that somehow force others into their own mistaken conformation. Wow, man, that’s some deep shit! Too early for that!

17 Likes

I have to turn off autocorrect on my phone. It’s been going against my intent more and more lately.

Still, this latest screw-up is a happy one.

The “prion disease” characterisation can be credited to Charlie Pierce at Esquire.

8 Likes

lousy speech recognition software or AI?

3 Likes

His life should become like Elzeard Bouffier in The Man Who Planted Trees.
(a great French story of hope after war, worth the 30 minutes if one has it to spare)

(this is the english translation)

9 Likes

I think it’s just lazy of BB. I spend more time editing my shitty comments than they spend editing their articles.

6 Likes

Or cactuses in a desert. Or firefighting somewhere.

6 Likes

Absolutely. He welcomed the “freedom convoy” to Ottawa. He was the attack dog for Stephen Harper when Harper was in power. Harper recently visited Hungary and shook hands with Viktor Orbán.

8 Likes

I don’t know about “Quebec man”…
I live in Alberta and frequently read about “Red Deer man” in the same style as “Florida man”.

8 Likes

a conspiracy theorist who posted claims that the government was deliberately setting wildfires to make people believe in climate change. But he was setting them himself,

Those projection gifs are sure in demand these days.

7 Likes

I love me a honey based unit of measurement! :honeybee: :honey_pot:

11 Likes

I suspect that the sentence “he five blazes, over the courts of a month” should actually be “The five blazes, over the course of a month”. That said, there ain’t no prophecy like a self-fulfilled prophecy…

3 Likes

Is that 265 miels as the bee flies?

(Never a straight line.)

9 Likes

Merci mille fois! That’s a great recommendation. Here’s a version in French:

7 Likes