Man who confessed to murder on TV found guilty of murder

Originally published at: Man who confessed to murder on TV found guilty of murder | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Now Lillian will have a convict penpal.

3 Likes

Pro tip: if you’re wearing a mic, shut the f**k up!

5 Likes

Good to see that being wealthy did not prevent him from avoiding punishment.

Lack of political connections prevented him from avoiding punishment.

1 Like

Saying you killed somebody is not necessarily confessing. If you believe that, you must also believe that Eric Clapton shot a law enforcement officer.

1 Like

Saying you killed somebody is not necessarily confessing. If you believe that, you must also believe that Eric Clapton shot a law enforcement officer.

True, but isn’t that why we have courts and judges and all that?

4 Likes

I know nothing about the Durst case, but Susan Berman’s father Davie Berman was Bugsy Siegel’s partner, and quite a character.

1 Like

But was Eric Clapton being tried for shooting the sheriff, or for shooting the deputy? Perhaps confessing to one crime was part of a plea bargain to reduce his sentence?

7 Likes

He was just taking the rap for Bob Marley.

10 Likes

In one scene, we learn the origin of the lyrics to “I Shot the Sheriff.” At the time, Ms. Anderson was on birth control pills, and Mr. Marley thought the pills were sacrilege. He wanted her to have his baby. He believed their love was strong and it was sin to kill his seed. The doctor who prescribed those baby-killing pills became the sheriff. And thanks to this movie, these lyrics, which Anderson helped write, are now put into a proper context:

Sheriff John Brown always hated me,
For what, I don’t know:
Every time I plant a seed,
He said kill it before it grow

Tidbits like this are invaluable. And they quite clearly invoke a feminine power in Ms. Anderson. This beautiful woman was a pioneer in many ways and this movie is as just as much about her as it is Marley. It’s no surprise the progressive movie icon Marlon Brando was attracted to her; they had a seven-year relationship, around this time period, which honestly seems more interesting than her relationship with Marley.

2 Likes

The son of a powerful New York City real estate mogul, Durst was conveniently adjacent to several disappearances and brutal murders over the course of several decades — including one where he impressively did admit on the stand to decapitating someone and hiding their body but was still rich enough to convince the jury that he was innocent.

[emphasis mine]
We keep seeing cases where money and influence allows rich folks to find enablers who help them get away with crimes for far too long. In cases involving people with average incomes or less, without the press, public pressure, and means to motivate lazy law enforcement resources to do their jobs, the outcome tends to be the same or worse.

The whole system needs serious reform.

7 Likes

Pro tip 2: if you’re a murderer who wants to continue escaping consequences for your actions then you probably shouldn’t give any interviews at all.

2 Likes
1 Like

Reggae, not rap

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.