Man who spread chocolate on lawn to deter dog-walkers draws neighbor's wrath

Yes! Because a reasonable solution for the ongoing abatement of random dog shit in your yard is Picasso-ing all the existing shit with perfectly good cooking lard and then crafting signs promoting this unconventional hobby. :smile:

1 Like

Death is hardly fair punishment for trespassing. And regardless, non-human animals are not subject to human laws. Believe it or not, humans “property” tends to be inhabited by other organisms first.

2 Likes

Just leave your pets at home, people.

If you don’t have a yard large enough for your dog to be comfortable in, you shouldn’t have a dog in the first place. It’s your pet, not society’s.

3 Likes

Often, in my neighbourhood, those signs are only on one side of the yard (so if you approach from the opposite direction, you don’t see it till it’s too late), are too small to read unless you go right up to them, or any other number of things that might make them not particularly useful. And if you’ve never actually read one of those signs, there’s a non-zero chance that you have no idea what they represent. I actually know what they mean, so I keep my dog off lawns where I see those signs (if I see them in time), but I also pick up my dog’s poop, so I don’t really know where I’m going with this story.

They might not understand them, but they are often very much subject to them.

Perhaps put the chocolates, still wrapped on a small table.

1 Like

Gru: Hello, Fred. FYI, your dog has been leaving little bombs all over my yard and I don’t appreciate it.
Fred: Sorry. You know dogs. They go wherever they want to go.
Gru: Unless they’re dead!
Gru: Ha ha ha! I’m joking! Although it is true. Anyway, have a good one.

6 Likes

Shoot them with a camera and post it here. He’ll be famous.

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet.

1 Like

Yes, nothing says “I care about the condition and cleanliness of my lawn” like a weed-covered dirt patch strewn with chocolate.

8 Likes

Someone did something similar in my neighborhood last year.

To prevent Cats from peeing in their yard (claimed it was killing their the grass - ammonia?),
They covered the area with mothballs, which came very close to killing another neighbor’s dog after it ate a few of them.

In Montreal, there are some very nice dog-oriented public parks, with off-leash spaces. Toronto had at least one park like this too. Some societies are pretty good about helping to accommodate people who might like to have a dog but who don’t have enormous yards

2 Likes

I can’t tell if the concern is people leaving poop or just the lawn suffering from too much urine. For the poop, a camera would be the best option. For the lawn, um, you live in a desert. Maybe it’s time to convert your urine-soaked weed patch into something more appropriate for your climate instead of trying to poison people’s dogs.

Toronto actually has several.

Hardly. They are recognized as having no rights nor obligations, no mediation or representation. Human law tends to consider them objects rather than subjects. To what extent laws involve them, it is exclusively with regards to their interactions with humans.

What a turd

2 Likes

Clearly you have never farmed or owned livestock. Unknown animals on your property are a threat. In town you are restricted from firing on animals in your yard so the city provides animal control services. In the country, you put the animal down. It has nothing to do with punishment. Ever see a chicken farmer deal with a dog they personally own chasing chickens? They put them down. The last thing they want is their own animals causing damage to a neighbors livestock.

Of course they are. What would make you think otherwise? leash laws, neuter laws, horses on highways, cattle outside the town commons, etc etc etc. Laws concerning animals go back as far as recorded history.

I get it, you probably grew up and live in a non-rural area and are simply unaware of how animals are handled outside that environment. It may not fit your world view and it may make you uncomfortable but that’s life in the real world.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t want to hurt a dog, but a neighbor’s cat was using my vegetable garden as a toilet. I was very close to buying an air rifle.

2 Likes

I’d be tempted to set up some kind of remote air horn system (where I press a button inside, airhorn goes off in my garden). Non-lethal, but fun as hell.

4 Likes

Shoulda used tootsie rolls. At least they look like turds.

Kidding aside, when a neighbor’s dog pooped in our lawn, she couldn’t find it, so called and apologized. I guess it all depends on where you live. What really bothered me was when we first moved in to a great, quiet neighborhood. A month later, our next door neighbor got a doberman puppy. It turned into the biggest doberman I’d ever seen, with vocal cords to match (and at 7:00 am and 10:00 pm, which they thought was their god-given right, given that they were a FAMILY, if you get my drift, till I showed 'em the relevant local ordinance). Fortunately they finally moved out and normal people moved in.

7AM and 10pm fall outside of reasonable noise times for your neighbourhood? Wow, lucky you. I’ve never lived anywhere where you could complain before 11pm… And I’m pretty sure 7am was the start of “it’s ok to be noisy” time too, possibly even earlier. Doesn’t bother me now that I have kids (since I’m up early every day any way), but my 65 year old neighbour mowing the lawn at 7:30 in the morning was frustrating back in the day when I actually was able to sleep in.

And also, I don’t get your drift.

1 Like