Man with a gun in his carry-on bag slips by TSA and flies from Georgia to Tokyo

I’m kind of curious about the “Unknown Types” category. What constitutes an unknown type of gun and why were 90% of them “lost”?

Silencers also seem to get misplaced at a suspiciously high rate. It almost makes me think that they aren’t being put to ends that benefit the general good.

2 Likes

It must be interesting checking the lost and found.

“Hi, I lost a 9mm Glock. Has anyone turned it in?”
“You’ll have to be a little more specific sir.”

7 Likes

tumblr_oa41n88pog1rowenko1_500

3 Likes

“Well, its name is ‘Kindness’, I had that engraved on the barrel…”

“I’ve made a note sir. We’ll let you know if it turns up, and we’ll alert the gate at your destination as well… you’re flying home to Florida is that correct?”

edited to add link

2 Likes

Silencers are hard to find cos they’re so damn quiet…

(Countdown until someone attempts to correct this to “Suppressors”… :woozy_face: )

12 Likes

Silencers are the Scotch™ Magic Invisible tape of the gun world.

4 Likes

At least he didn’t have a Reason.

4 Likes

Small scissors are OK but not a tiny thread cutter pendant.

1 Like

Wow…so I shouldn’t have thrown them out…I didn’t know that.

1 Like

um, this happens EVERY SINGLE DAY, the tsa fails 95% of weapons tests

has nothing to do with the shutdown, the TSA is puppet theater since day one

everyone has forgotten already? everyone complacent and allows themselves to be groped for no reason? that was record time sheeple, remember when there were protests during holiday season but not for years now

these aren’t well educated college grads doing security, they are high school dropouts working the machines and given responsibility way over their head - there is also a large amount of theft, harassment and turnover in the tsa

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-11-09/tsa-fails-most-tests-in-undercover-operation

1 Like

First it’s the mad scientist who can’t get his hands on mutated anthrax, then the mad Grad Student!

When will it end?

3 Likes

Apparently it was a woman according to the japanese sources I’ve seen reporting on it: https://japantoday.com/category/national/American-woman-brings-pistol-bullets-onto-Delta-Air-Lines-flight-to-Japan

“You’re right. I should have set it to ‘whip’ or ‘chop’”.

1 Like

But the good news is that he didn’t have a nail clipper.

3 Likes

This. So much this. The TSA spends all its effort searching for things like water bottles and explosives in shoes, which does nothing to improve security but everything to inconvenience travelers. We need to dissolve this arm of the police state.

4 Likes

I keep a pair in my first aid kit. Good to know that they’re okay. (Assuming that the rules are enforced non-arbitrarily.)

2 Likes

Well fine there goes the rest of my day, time to go read it again.

Japanese security staff at Fukuoka airport spotted this in my wallet on the scanner the other week:

Smaller than a credit card. They asked me to take it out, examined it then gave it back. Professional, efficient and very polite - I know where I prefer travelling.

5 Likes

It sounds like he realized it before he got onto the flight, which is lucky for him, because while the TSA might not have harsh penalties for him, Japan would. And Japan wouldn’t even be the most harsh. I believe some Asian countries have a death penalty for gun smuggling. Wouldn’t be nice to arrive in Singapore with a gun.

3 Likes

My wife carries a big (4" blade) folding knife in her purse. Makes her feel safe. Anyway, she texts me from the airport after taxiing there from home, telling me she forgot it was in her purse and asking me what to do about it. I tell her to find a place at the airport to mail it home. This is a high quality Benchmade knife I bought her, well over $100 to replace.

Eventually she gets around to telling me she is already through the security checkpoint. Facepalm! She ended up mailing it back from her destination. I have no idea how they missed such a full-size folding knife in the scan.

1 Like