Man, woman and dog bolt from airplane using emergency slide

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/23/man-woman-and-dog-bolt-from-airplane-using-emergency-slide.html

4 Likes

Sounds like real panic. I hope the gentleman is able to get over whatever he is dealing with and that the rest of the passengers were able to get where they were going.

20 Likes

I think it’s touching that the companion and dog followed him out the exit.

6 Likes

I think we need to go over the definition of “freaking out” again.

If you have a phobia that makes air travel impossible to you, bummer, but there are other options. To go on a flight you can’t deal with now?

15 Likes

Wonder if race had anything to do with being arrested instead of taken to a hospital for observation and treatment.

4 Likes

Unloosed floof pooch had no choice in joining poof-sluice goof.

17 Likes

We humans still don’t deserve dogs.

10 Likes

wait…is there a video on youtube to go with that screengrab ?

3 Likes

Everybody who disrupts a flight in such a manner gets arrested.
Cite: my 40 years in the industry.

18 Likes

That’s from a training video. It’s not even a real airplane.

8 Likes

I was thinking WTF are you doing on a plane if you have a PTSD problem that causes you to freak out on planes. I have no reason to doubt his condition, but c’mon man, take responsibility and make better choices. I’ve little no sympathy for someone who puts themselves in a situation like this.

9 Likes

You’ve never had an emotional reaction to a situation that surprised you? There are a large range of people that have difficulty gauging and foreseeing situations like this, such as people with autism and people with PTSD especially when they have never experienced the situation before and everybody treats it like it is something normal and not stressful. Unless you’ve flown before, you might not realize that you are required to be sitting strapped into a seat for long periods of time without the ability to change the situation. How would you suggest he should have known about it ahead of time? Be a little creative about what your own emotional reactions might be in similar circumstances and you might find some more compassion.

12 Likes

Damn clickbait!

4 Likes

Ah. Didn’t know that.

2 Likes

I think there is a fine line between people who are genuinely unable to cope with situations lile this, and people who regularly lose their cool to get their way. Its hard to believe that a person would not expect to have to sit down with a seat belt on when they are in an aircraft. I am surprised that the crew allowed the plane to push back from the gate without all passengers secured.

11 Likes

This. It should have all been settled before the doors even closed. Something went awry with the communication between the anxious dude and the crew.

7 Likes

It is true. It happens all the time in different nations.

2 Likes

Having spent a fair amount of time on layovers at LaGuardia in the past, I can somewhat relate to this man. :wink:

Seriously, though, to echo what @prooftheory posted, I hope everyone’s okay. Shit is stressful enough right now!

4 Likes

Also no service dog anywhere.

4 Likes

Whose service dog was it? The man’s or the companion’s? If it belonged to the man, it should have followed him (although I might make an exception for following him down an emergency slide). Also, was it an actual trained service dog, or a ‘companion animal’, which is a whole 'nother can of worms.

4 Likes