Management by Musk: there will be no toilet paper until the stack has velocity

In defense of employees who still need the job, I can’t imagine good things happen to anyone the boss sees cleaning up after themselves when they could be working on the stack somehow. Better to stay at your desk where you can quickly throw some code up on the screen.

No interest in going, but I am prepared to someday tell campfire stories about what happened to the people who did.

18 Likes

Yep, my heart goes out to any staff stuck with this turkey of a boss.

13 Likes

Who would have thought that someone bathed in Twitter culture would try to solve his problems by eliminating everyone he dislikes? /s

8 Likes

Much less people willing to take a job there.

4 Likes

The way the idiot owner of Twitter is flailing debunks the idea that he is destroying Twitter on purpose, as it’s been an abject failure on that end as well: those who did want it dead cannot like how users are able to migrate to Mastodon and other decentralized services. Or how information on dissidents is getting lost in the chaos. How the staff is no longer able to do their bidding.

Nope. This is just the workings of a sitcom-level idiot, but without the sitcom’s protective reset at the end of an episode.

21 Likes

I’m trying not to be too judgy, but I have a hard time seeing it as a job any more. The company has no future and likely won’t exist in a matter of months. Musk is abusive, egotistical and fickle and might lay anyone off at any moment, and nobody should be working for a boss like that, both for their own personal dignity and because he doesn’t deserve to be treated with that level of respect or allowed to maintain that level of power. That combination of… not even a lack of job security, but a guarantee that you won’t have that job soon, along with a moral imperative to tell Musk to take the job and shove it, seems like it would make it worth it to quit and take another job, ANY other job, even if it means a reduction in opportunities, at least temporarily. It seems like a choice of taking away Musk’s power and leaving of your own free will with your own plan, or having the job yanked out from under you like a rug when you least expect it and being kicked out on Musk’s terms and at his convenience. I realize it’s probably not actually that simple and I should be more sympathetic, it just is very hard to watch people continuing to prop up this fool and lend him legitimacy at the expense of their own wellbeing and dignity.

12 Likes

Just think: Musk’s Neuralink stock should be cratering. Or one would think.

Doctor: There’s good news and there’s bad news, Mr. Johnson.

Johnson: I need to hear some good news, doc. Fer cisssakes!

Doctor: There are new ways we can implant chips in your brain so you may eventually move and communicate again.

Johnson: Wha?..That’s fantastic, doc! Jeez! What’s the bad news?

Doctor: Here’s the guy behind it all. (Shows a pic of Musk)

Johnson: Just…kill me now.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Please don’t quote selectively. I started with…

… which is not a broad brush.

When this cut-rate John Galt took over, a large number of employees on the coding side took him up on his offer to voluntarily resign with severance. They left despite the job outlook in the industry already looking dismal. Some stayed gone even when he realized they had critical knowledge and begged them to come back.

I am sure there are some still there who regret not moving sooner, especially now that “ex Twitter coder” is shorthand in always opportunistic SV HR departments for “will work for food”. My point is that I doubt there’s any coder still there – Musk fanbois aside – who believes the company has a future or will continue to provide the pay and perks they’ve become to which they’ve become accustomed. The stench there is not only that of an uncleaned physical plant but also one of desperation.

True. I was pointing out that the situation is only made worse by the well-earned reputation young male software engineers have for not knowing how to clean up after themselves (or in some cases how to clean themselves).

It’s been a while, but I recall Mike Judge effectively beating them to that as he portrayed the decline of Hooli under the “leadership” of Gavin Belson.

17 Likes

Surely he has to get in a dig at liberals sabotaging his masterwork - if only they hadn’t been so upset about the Nazis it would have all worked out!

10 Likes

Part of Musk is still hoping that a syndicate of right-wing sugar daddies will help Truth Social do a buy-out or merger of Twitter to preserve it as a broad-reach playground and platform for fascists, white supremacists, misogynists, etc. If that happens he’ll still be out at least $30-billion and lose control of Tesla (maybe SpaceX too).

And that’s the best-case scenario for Musk. In 2023, the efforts to find a way to on-board non-techie Twitter users to Fediverse platforms like Mastodon and Tumblr are only going to ramp up. At the same time, non-Nazi celebrities and famous people are going to find out that both their verified micro-blogging identities and a good portion of their followers can be ported over as well.

9 Likes

It always amazes me how bad libertarians are at business. I mean, mind bogglingly, breathtakingly bad.

Or as a competent business person calls them: customers.

22 Likes

If the stack has no velocity it’s probablly plugged up so they have bigger problems than no toilet paper. Those toilets ain’t flushing without stack velocity.

11 Likes

Really, really, really bad at business!

“I’ve got a great business plan! There’s this niche market. It’s already saturated with service providers operating on razor thin margins. The customer base has very limited growth potential … we’re talking retention level growth, if that. Let’s pour a ton of money into entering that market, maybe corner it and probably never recoup our initial investment! Who’s with me!!”

You saw my letter to Santa, didn’t you?

13 Likes

It turns out that an ideology that encourages an over-inflated sense of one’s own superiority and also promotes contempt and disrespect for others is not helpful when running a complex consumer business.

I learned this years ago. When a founder at a portfolio company started going on about Hayek or Rand, that was my cue to ease them into a position with a fancy title where they couldn’t drive the entire business into the ground.

22 Likes

It isn’t a publicly traded company yet, and one hopes that it never will be.

6 Likes

I think he topped himself when he ordered all his engineers to print out their source code so that Tesla engineers could review it. Dude. It’s 2022. Not 1972.

10 Likes

I worked for Perot Systems at least two years after I should have just walked off the job. A toxic work environment like that totally crashes self-esteem and also leaves no time to look for other work. Also, I had no savings at the time. That also figured into my decision to grin and bear it.

29 Likes

And because janitorial services have largely been ended, some workers have resorted to bringing their own rolls of toilet paper from home.

Two questions:

1. These folks have time to go home?
  2. Why am I reminded of Snow Crash?
18 Likes

Someone report him to OSHA every single day there is no TP. Toilet paper is required in public buildings.
Depending on the state, a building code official, such as the Fire Marshall could shut the building down too.

20 Likes