Manila's new Covid lockdown only for the unvaxxed: stay home or go to jail

Originally published at: Manila's new Covid lockdown only for the unvaxxed: stay home or go to jail | Boing Boing

12 Likes

24 Likes

It’s an idea who’s time has come.

18 Likes

^^ This is such a great summation of the reason to get vaccinated.

23 Likes

Aaaand there it is.

4 Likes

But go to jail and the jails fill up with COVID sufferers. Why not house arrest?

1 Like

I completely support this.

1 Like

Because they already failed house arrest. That’s essentially what this order is. Stay home if you are unvaccinated.

“I really mean it!” Isn’t going to work any better.

11 Likes

Man, the day I start agreeing with Duterte is, well, today. That gives me a sad.

16 Likes

Don’t they have ankle monitors there?

1 Like

How many? Thousands? Tens of thousands? It’s a metropolitan area of 14 million people.

8 Likes

Maybe this will convince the survivors to get vaccinated.
Or stay home like they were supposed to.

This is the only thing I can think of that I agree with.
Otherwise, he is pretty much a blood thirsty monster.

It gives me a weird

5 Likes

Because those aren’t actual facts, those are anti-vax talking points. I’m still awaiting the figures for omicron, but for delta, a vaccinated person had a 5x to 9x reduced chance to contract COVID in the first place, and had shorter time of contagiousness. Both contribute significantly to reducing the spread.

15 Likes

Why do you hate Gritty 19147?

Not a True Philadelphian.

Probably lives in South Jersey or Delco.

14 Likes

But the unvaccinated are more likely to put a strain on the health care system causing people with other illness or emergencies to get subpar care.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Preliminary numbers suggest that boosted individuals are protected from contracting the omicron variant at about a 70% rate. That is considerably better than an unvaxxed individual. If you don’t contract it, you don’t spread it. Repeating unfounded talking points will not go unchallenged here. Welcome to BoingBoing,

11 Likes

That’s true for the mRNA vaccines, but unfortunately more than half of the vaccines given in the Philippines were Sinovac. That’s already not as good against other strains as the mRNA versions, but some studies suggest it’s really not very effective at all against Omicron. Boosting with other vaccine types may help though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows

3 Likes

I’m afraid this might mean the end of a great relationship.

At least he did not start executing the unvaccinated.

Edit: yet.