๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ If it wasn't for Canada ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ

I have CBC as a cable channel, and confirm that @Missy_Pants is describing how I hear it on Canukistani TV commercials for the Ontario market. Itโ€™s very grating. The other one that bugs the heck out of me is MAhz-da.

5 Likes

Itโ€™s not MAhz-da?

(Perhaps it could be Maaz-da, but I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve ever heard it pronounced that way.)

3 Likes

Isnโ€™t it the going conversion rate? Totally screws up birth certificates.

3 Likes

โ€œMazdaโ€ as in โ€œAhura Mazdaโ€? Shouldnโ€™t this be in the โ€œsolar Jesusโ€ thread? :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe more like MAahz-da. Heavy emphasis on the โ€˜aโ€™ so it comes out rhyming with โ€œyeah.โ€

2 Likes

โ€ฆbut how else should you say it?

1 Like

POSS-tuh

2 Likes

POSS-tuh? Like โ€ฆ Possum?

4 Likes

Yup. Short โ€˜aโ€™ without undue emphasis.

2 Likes

Not to mention our vast array of hovercrafts plying their trade along the rivers.

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada we might have fewer rules on the internet!

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada I would have a lot more likes.

5 Likes

Stick by your guns. I just checked with my landlord and his wife, both from Bari: both As are like the A in cat (โ€œHow else would you say it?โ€). The pronunciation you use is the Italian pronunciation.

1 Like

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada, where would Bennidict Arnold have been able to go after the war to be accused of arson?

3 Likes

How is Bari pronounced?

2 Likes

Poor Benedict, he got such a bad reputationโ€ฆ

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=3

3 Likes

If it wasnโ€™t for Canada there would be a lot less reading about a red-haired irresponsible lass growing up in PEI.

6 Likes

Like the English given name. Vowels pretty much always take the same value in Italian.

1 Like

Who invades Quebec in the middle of goddamned winter? He fucked up everything. But, at the same time, helped create the only walled city in North America, and itโ€™s a beautiful place as a result. So, long-term win. Thanks Benedict Arnold, you fucking traitor.

7 Likes

Did you know sheโ€™s getting a โ€œgritty re-bootโ€?

Much like Archie Andrews and the gang in Riverdale.

Because nothing says coming of age tween dramas like gritty reboots right?

6 Likes