🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 If it wasn't for Canada 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁

Bwhahahahaha, why is this the first I’ve heard of this?

Side note: 10 hunters for 100,000 beavers? AHAHAHAHAHAH no. Beavers are very hard to hunt. They’re aquatic, they have under water dens. They just dive and hide. My brother got the unenviable job of clearing a pair of beavers from my parents property one fall. Basically he would mess up the dam and then hid in the bushes for hours in the cold just waiting for a beaver to come out and fix it. Short version: the beavers won.

14 Likes

A decade-long mission? That’s 1000 beaver per hunter per year, or about 3 per day with no time off, not counting all the kits that will be born in the meantime. Toronto can’t even control the handful of beavers in Humber Bay Park.

Make the beaver hat fashionable again and let private enterprise do the rest.

“Equipped with helicopters”. Noobs.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Liked for the Voyageur image…although that’s a smaller canoe than was standard during their heyday (they mostly used 26’ and 24’ long versions).

2 Likes

I chose it as an iconic Canadian painting. The artist is Frances Anne Hopkins - that’s her in the white outfit admiring a water lily. Her husband, sitting beside her, was a Hudson’s Bay Company official, and the painting shows them on an inspection tour of company facilities.

If we assume the steersman to be about 5’6" tall (voyageurs were typically short), the canoe is about five times his height, so 27.5 feet long. To quote the Canadian Museum of History,

“This painting portraying the artist and her husband… is among our best views of the nine- to ten-metre fur trade vessel called a “Bastard” Canoe. Experience showed that a canoe even of this length worked well in small rivers or streams. Its unusual name stems from its being a variation on both the larger Montreal Canoe and the smaller North Canoe.”

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/canoe/can07eng.shtml

This picture depicts a larger canoe

“The great eleven-metre Montreal Canoe near Lachine, Quebec. This historic painting clearly shows the vessel’s capacity and its sixteen voyageur paddlers, almost the maximum crew.”

The 36 foot (11m) Montreal canoes weighed 600 pounds (270 kg) and were carried on portages by four men. Voyageurs were supermen.

8 Likes

I used to do Voyageur recreations in actually-hand-made replicas of the canoes. Being female wasn’t authentic, but my height is! Portage on the way out is one thing; on the way back east there would be all the heavy pelts to deal with too. Fortunately we were never that authentic!

6 Likes

Sounds like fun. Sorry for the mansplaining. I sail in Toronto harbour during the summer, and there are two big war canoes in the slip we sail from, manned by as many eight-year-olds as they can cram in. When classes start they must negotiate this narrow passage at the same time as fleets of Optimist dinghies (more eight-year-olds), larger dinghies (twelve-year-olds), kayak classes (all ages), and individual kayak renters of varying abilities. I, of course, must make a sincere effort not to hit any of them.

I’m sure you know this, so the lecture isn’t directed at you, but for the benefit of others here are some fun facts:

1. Trading companies made a point of hiring small voyageurs with short legs who would leave more room for goods in the canoes.

2. The standard bale of goods weighed 90 pounds (41kg), and the normal load on a portage was two bales, although three or four was not unknown

3. Because of Fact 2, voyageurs would run rapids whenever possible rather than portage.

4. Because of Facts 2 and 3, the most common cause of death was drowning, and the second most common was strangulated hernia.

9 Likes

Hence the sash we would tie around (and around, and around) our waists!

It’s been many decades now, and my memory is not great, so I’m probably first in line to hear whatever you know on the subject. :+1:

3 Likes

You’ve just heard it! :grin:

4 Likes

We could have grown-up political debate.

2 Likes

4 Likes

There is precedent.

The Censure of the Parliament Fart (1607)

Never was bestowed such an art
Upon the tuning of a fart.
Downe came grave auntient Sir John Cooke
And redd his message in his booke.
Fearie well, Quoth Sir William Morris, Soe:
But Henry Ludlowes Tayle cry’d Noe.
Up starts one fuller of devotion
The Eloquence; and said a very ill motion
Not soe neither quoth Sir Henry Jenkin
The Motion was good; but for the stincking
Well quoth Sir Henry Poole it was a bold tricke
To Fart in the nose of the bodie pollitique
Indeed I confesse quoth Sir Edward Grevill
The matter of it selfe was somewhat uncivill
Thanke God quoth Sir Edward Hungerford
That this Fart proved not a Turdd

5 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canada you couldn’t have posted that.

8 Likes

Utterly ridiculous.

There are cod around Nova Scotia.

Just, y’know, not as many any more, since the overfishing of the 70s-80s.

3 Likes

Everyone I know says the cod are back.
People are fishing again, small scale, but they’re doing it.

That reminds me, I needs me a good fish fry soon!

2 Likes

I’ve heard the same, but I don’t think they’re back to John Cabot levels, where you can dip a basket in the water and come up with fish.

2 Likes

I doubt we’ll ever be back to those levels.
But from what I hear you throw your jigger in and you pull up a fish.

3 Likes

10 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canada, the US might have a leader who takes cash for access.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for Canadian stay at home Moms pretending to be “writers” we might not have had pizzagate? What?

Seriously tho, lock this woman up! Journalism! What is that? Ethics? Never heard of 'em!

“I really have no regrets and it’s honestly really grown our audience,” she said.
Belleville woman helped cook up Pizzagate

10 Likes