🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 If it wasn't for Canada 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁

There wouldn’t have had a place to play Woodie Guthrie’s “This land is your land” while it was banned on American radio.

6 Likes

I’ll take the apple fritter. It should be out of shot on the lower shelf if that’s a standard Timmies.

7 Likes

Meanwhile in Halifax…

11 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canada, public transport would be rude.

13 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canada:

5 Likes

“Be like the stone. Be like the stone.”

2 Likes

We wouldn’t have breakfast poutine.

(any chance that Canada could invade while the US is between administrations?)

12 Likes

We’ll be welcomed as liberators

11 Likes

I for one welcome our new Canadian overlords…

14 Likes

Hahah thats Ryan! We go to the same dog park! He is a very tall man!

10 Likes

O_O you know Dinosaur Comics guy?

10 Likes

We did that in 1812, but the treaty said to put everything back the way it was before. Something about Napoleon.

Nowadays it would be something about Putin.

12 Likes

If it wasn’t for Canada…US travelers would have to pretend to be from Mexico.

10 Likes

More like he knows my dogs and I know who he is. :wink: Toronto is a small town.

8 Likes

Canadians following this thread, I think the following is worth a response.

4 Likes

Is this story getting any play outside of Canada? Cuz its cutting across all networks up here.

Mainly cuz they’re walking… into Manitoba… in the middle of the night… IN WINTER!
And they’re loosing fingers and toes… because its MANITOBA IN WINTER.

11 Likes

While approaching that area is very simple, refuge seekers run a high risk there of being intercepted by U.S. border patrol officers, he said.

Waitaminute.

The worry is being stopped by the American border patrol, preventing them from getting out, as opposed to the Canadian border patrol, preventing them from getting in?!

How does that make any sort of sense?

Also, yeah. I’m not surprised by the “losing digits” thing. Midnight cross-country hiking in midwinter in Manitoba sounds like a very nice way to get severe frostbite.

9 Likes

Yes. Because if they’re stopped by them they’ll be arrested, and likely deported. Many are refugees or on visas. Its nuts. This is a better snap shot of what is happening. Also… photos of the frostbitten hands is scary. Be warned.

8 Likes

The pace of this exodus to Canada spiked in October and November, before Trump became President—66 migrants skirted the border by Emerson in each month, almost what authorities used to get in a full year. The crossers tend to increase in spring. But at Welcome Place, the Winnipeg agency mandated to aid claimants with paperwork and support, staff are already pushed to the limit. They rely on donations for these services, and generosity isn’t so forthcoming when there’s chatter of “illegal” border crossings, executive director Rita Chahal says.

Well, at least there’s something that I can do something about. It doesn’t seem like there’s much, these days.

I donated, and I’ll try to spread the word further of this charity’s need for funds.

7 Likes

A link if anyone else wants:

7 Likes