Marc Lamont Hill refuses Rep. Vernon Jones proposed ban on critical race theory

Originally published at: Marc Lamont Hill refuses Rep. Lamont Jones proposed ban on critical race theory | Boing Boing

11 Likes

It’s like the clowns who fell all over themselves claiming we were about to be overrun by Sharia law when Obama was elected.

18 Likes

Remind me again who are the ones attempting to “cancel” things?

16 Likes

Not only that, but Lamont Jones is not interested in letting anyone else describe CRT either.
But he’s definitely gonna ban it, whateverthefuck it is!

13 Likes

Sadly, I’m not sure it matters that he handed Rep. Jones his ass, as these will be rammed through legislatures anyway, and it will be used to purge scholars from public universities and from k-12 education…

19 Likes

when has truth ever mattered to republican and conservative intitatives.

8 Likes

His name is Vernon Jones.

5 Likes

Lincoln cared about truth, as did Eisenhower… They weren’t always radical fascists.

The Trump wing is winning (see what’s happening with “moderate” Cheney), and we’re fucked as a country unless we turn this shit around now.

18 Likes

@jlw, indeed, it is Dekalb county’s own problem child, Vernon Jones…

10 Likes

Thanks

5 Likes

Oh, I wish it weren’t old Vernon, but he seems to have decided his 15 minutes isn’t up yet… :pensive:

7 Likes

Just looked him up. He switched from D to R this year because of trump. The idea of a Black man joining the republican party because of trump is just unfathomable
Mind-Blown

12 Likes

Systemic racism can warp anyone’s mind, even the people who are the target of systemic racism.

I also maybe think he’s still angry about the situation from when he was the Dekalb CEO… I’m guessing that there was some behind the scenes shit within the party going on which led to the investigations against him…

Intra-party politics can be quite dirty, especially in places where one party is dominant, in this case the Democratic party in Dekalb.

But he’s still a dumb asshole.

12 Likes

If by “We” you mean the republican party, who is most certainly going to turn out Cheney and do Trump’s bidding –– stop wondering, they are going down this road and voters are the only ones that can turn them away. Thats why they are coming for your votes.

2 Likes

I mean ALL of us are fucked. What the hell do you think happens the first time a historian in one of the states trying to ban CRT defies the law?

10 Likes

yeah, especially when as you see, the definition of CRT is nebulous, and they can willfully accuse anybody they want to persecute - authoritarianism in the making.

4 Likes

Same thing that happens to other fact based professions when we try to practice our professions in an evidence based way in areas where evidence is considered heretical. Historians dealing with race and docs dealing with LGBTQ humans are in the headlines right now, but there will be others later. Niemöller’s poem comes to life again.

15 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

14 Likes

In general, yes, but did you notice how when his ignorance was exposed he resorted to inverting the conversation, ridiculing the host’s stutter and shouting over him? Seems like he and trump are cut from the same cloth.

5 Likes

They’re strenuously against anti-fascists. “oh, but we’re not for fascists.”
They’re strenuously against anti-racists. “oh, but we’re not for racists.”

7 Likes