Marjorie Taylor Greene now calling vax requirements "segregation"

I’m surprised she hasn’t yet showed up at some restaurant shoeless and shirtless, demanding service.

More seriously, I’m (mildly) surprised that people like her don’t see the cognitive dissonance when they hail a Supreme Court ruling that says a bakery can refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding, but get outraged when a business refuses them service for being a danger to others.

18 Likes

Money and political support. If you’re intensely anti-vax, she’ll be at the top of your donate list as she’s out front on the issue. She’ll get asked for interviews by the anti-vax media/podcasters and such. Her memes will get more traction. “Balanced” takes on the issue won’t get the love.

8 Likes

Money. Of course. No real political objective, just enrichment. (Yeah, money may be donated to her political campaign but (a) I would not put it past her to misuse it for personal use, and (b) her political campaign itself is probably just a way to further enrich herself.)

7 Likes

I suppose so, and to advance that, they’re just throwing whatever nonsense they can think of into their argument, as the people they’re trying to convince are total idiots (or at least the people making the arguments think they are). So they figure they don’t actually have to make an argument, all they need is world-salad with enough words in it.

5 Likes

Other than the fact she carried typhus, she was an excellent chef, and was paid very well for her expertise. During her final quarantine, she was trained as a microbiologist.

Had she been a man, she could probably have gotten a well paying job outside the food industry, but because she was a woman, no other job paid quite so well. (Well, there was nursing, but an asymptomatic typhoid carrier, no matter how fastidious, is still a menace in a hospital environment).

7 Likes

Which is really odd, because Ebola is a blood-borne agent and difficult to transmit (unless someone vomits or bleeds all over you, which appears to happen in the final stages of the disease). And also, when Ebola came to the US back in 2014, conservatives lost their fucking minds over it.

According to the latest WHO figures, 3,069 people have come down with Ebola. Of them, 1,552 have died— a fatality rate greater than 50 percent. Dr. Frieden told Fox News that unless urgent action is taken to contain the epidemic, it may be impossible to stop. There are not enough hospitals, wards, clinics, doctors or nurses to take care of the numbers of people who are coming down with Ebola, he said.

Elsewhere:

“New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces that his state will impose a mandatory 21-day quarantine on people arriving in the U.S. who have had direct contact with Ebola-infected individuals. New Jersey and Illinois announce their own quarantines. All affect people with no symptoms of infection.”

But also:
https://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/health/ebola-us-quarantine-controversy/index.html

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn’s office said the quarantine would be a “home quarantine.”

“This protective measure is too important to be voluntary,” Quinn said.

When New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced their new policies on Friday, they called for hospitalization or quarantine . But on Sunday night, after debate over the policies heated up, the governors said the quarantines could be carried out at home.

Very curious what Empty Green was tweeting in 2014.

10 Likes

According to the article Marjorie Taylor Greene, or as I’ll call her “Marginally Treasonous Greene”, wrote:

Will you be testing everyone at the door for the flu, strep throat, stomach bugs, colds, meningitis, aids, venereal diseases, Hep A, Hep C, staff [sic] infections, athletes foot, pink eye, croup, bronchitis, ringworm, scabies, or any other contagions?"

If you’re doing anything to pass along those conditions at a restaurant you’re not just going to get kicked out of the restaurant. You’re likely going to get the cops called on you. [Okay, maybe not for flu or a cold, unless you go out of your way to cough or spit in others’ food.]

7 Likes

Shirtless!!! MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!

4 Likes

Well yes, it IS segregation. Discrimination, even. However “asshole that puts others at risk by refusing to get vaccinated,” is NOT a protected class. You are perfectly free to discriminate against them. And equating that to discrimination based of race is a false equivalence.

14 Likes

Roger that!
The patriarchy made her do it.
Someone put up the Flip Wilson clip please?

2 Likes

Public safety when it comes to deadly diseases was important to our founding fathers

15 Likes

Except for the “not washing her goddamn hands” part.

13 Likes

So I imagine she was upset when it was ruled that businesses can legally discriminate against homosexual couples, right?

Right?

9 Likes

She’d better be careful, calling it segregation might accidentally confuse her demographic into supporting it.

14 Likes

I think that is what we are seeing … starting to piss off republicans with the nuttery. But there will remain a good solid 30-35% that won’t care/won’t think and will still vote against the dems no matter what. This is why the republicans need to voter suppress, gerrymander, etc. They have to win on fewer votes.

6 Likes

Will you be testing everyone at the door for the flu, strep throat, stomach bugs, colds, meningitis, aids, venereal diseases, Hep A, Hep C, staff infections, athletes foot, pink eye, croup, bronchitis, ringworm, scabies, or any other contagions?

No, just you.

8 Likes

‘Who among us really washes their hands in such a way as to satisfy the requirements of food handling?’’

––– Anthony Bourdain, noted food handler

3 Likes

Even in the late 19th/early 20th Centuries “washing one’s hands after taking a shit” was considered best practice for a professional chef though.

11 Likes

Although with Franklin, he was fiercely anti-innoculation until his son died (when it impacted himself directly).

6 Likes

I’m not surprised, but people these days have less of an excuse towards their antivax attitudes considering there’s more data and science showing the effectiveness of quarantining and getting the shots. Additionally other founding fathers also were pro-quarantine as well, so its facetious for Republicans to talk about how anti-American all of this is

8 Likes