Marjorie Taylor Greene wants "national divorce," but dummy doesn't see who a secession would hurt most

Goddang Red Necks!

22 Likes

MTG (et.al) took the oath of office, to defend the Constitution (not the paper thingy, but its manifestation), against all enemies foreign and domestic. She then has clearly presented herself as one of those enemies.

Oh for a media effort to demand of all gop members, and the enfeebled current speaker of the house in specific, for a time-table as to when MTG will be impeached for traitorous violation of that oath. (“meh. It’s just a republican crazy person in charge of critical House committees, pay it no mind.”)

30 Likes

We’ve seen on TV how easy a country like Greene is proposing (for sake of argument let’s call it Gilead) makes it for people to cross its borders, haven’t we?

There would still be plenty of blue state military in states that would want to secede. The US government would be damned if they let the red states have any nuclear missiles in those red states, particularly the Rockies.

Someone should ask Marge how Georgia’s going to make up its 28 cent on the dollar loss if they’re not getting money from the federal government because they’ve seceded.

Or ask how much prices are going to rise on products from Asia to account for the additional customs duties California’s going to charge for products bound for Gilead on container ships that dock at ports like Los Angeles and Long Beach. I suppose they could divert those shipments through Mexico (hah!) or through the Panama Canal to ports in Texas, Louisiana, and Georgia but that’s a longer trip and so prices would rise.

19 Likes

Or better yet, ask her how she think she’s going to be treated in Georgia, now that it’s pretty firmly Blue, statewide?

20 Likes

There’s about as many Republicans in California as there are in the three smallest Red States, and a similar proportion of Democrats in Texas to the three smallest Blue States. Does Greene propose some sort of mass migration or does she just plan to abandon all those Californian Trump voters?

11 Likes

There would still be plenty of blue state military in states that would want to secede.

Sure. And also red state supporters in blue states’ military, that the US government would have to assert some authority over. This happened during the 1860’s Civil War too. Large draft riots and similar. How that would play out is pretty much already determined. If modern Michigan proto-fascists can’t even find the population support to hold the state house, pro-secessionists are not going to fare any better in a second civil war.

Yes, exactly. And those states which didn’t exist for Civil War 1 would provide a repeat that way too. Maybe Wyoming and Montana and the Dakotas would go red. Let’s say even Colorado does. The federal government would immediately pull all those nukes out or render them inoperable. Then those states would all be easily outweighed in population, resources and money just by California. By itself the 5th largest economy in the world. And so on.

Not saying it wouldn’t be a mess. Just that the eventual outcome would be the same as the last one - and if anything even less in doubt. Secessionists would lose, hard.

10 Likes

“Everyone I talk to says this”

Yeah, but not for the reason you think, Marge.

In my own state, this comes up constantly, and with exactly the same level of thought. Here’s a really decent article on it. It is written in a pro-secession way, but at least with no foaming at the mouth. It leaves out all the financial reasons why it’s a horrible idea, of course. Chicago and it’s surrounding area is 9.6 million of the 12.6 million people, generating something like 85% of the tax income for the state (most of southern Illinois is subsidized farms, communities, housing, etc). If this happened, Illinois would go from the 6th biggest state to the 34th and “Chicago State” would be the 10th. And no one would ever go there while Chicago State would have an economy as robust as Californias.

From an article a few years back, when this last came up in our state, there was this great simple financial analysis I found: According to a study by Southern Illinois University, the state’s southernmost counties get back $2.81 in tax revenue for every dollar they put in, while Cook County loses 10 cents and the collar counties lose 47 cents.

17 Likes

If sucession ever did occur in the US, how would it be handled traveling from state to state? Would you need a passport? Also, how difficult would it be to move from one seceded state to another? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I honestly would like to know.

5 Likes

She’ll oppress the Democrats in the Red states, and view it a sign of our weakness when we don’t do the same to Republicans in Blue State.

That won’t stop the conspiracy theories that we are forcing Blue state Republicans to be submissive and trans, or some other bullshit.

19 Likes

How about America just divorcing MTG?
You get the little-house-on-the-prairie, you get a pile of cash, but you don’t get the children.
Ever.
Fuckin’ Ever.

19 Likes

Well, the Brexiteers haven’t yet, so why would anyone else of that ilk?

17 Likes

I am BEGGING you guys to stop posting the original tweet and just screencap her shit. Any engagement is helping her and confirming her martyr complex.

32 Likes

Came here to make this point. There aren’t even red areas of states and blue areas of states. I’m in a very Democratic area of Atlanta, and yet I see Trump and Gadsden Flag crap on display in my mostly liberal neighborhood. We are inextricably tied to one another. There is no mechanism – from a high-minded, meticulous negotiation of partition, to another bloody civil war – that will do what Marge and her angry, treasonous minions want.

19 Likes

For USA splitting up, the better term for secession and divorce is
‘Move County Borders’.

Oregon and Idaho and Northern California are looking at this now.
Virginia and West Virginia and Maryland and Delaware
have done ‘Move the County Borders’ in the past.

So far (2022), 11 Counties in Oregon have PASSED Initiatives to explore joining Greater Idaho.
US Congress is not involved. This is a State-to-State matter.
Counties that feel they have little voice in State Legislatures can Move the Border to an adjacent State.
Illinois Counties may go to Indiana or another State.
New York Counties may go to Mass. or Conn. or Penn.
Maryland Counties may go to West Virginia.

1 Like

Seriously? Nobody to the left of Eisenhower even uses the term “woke” any more.

12 Likes

‘Move the County Border’ to Idaho is in progress in Oregon.
Calif. Counties could move to an adjacent State such as Idaho or Nevada.

What state does a blue city in the middle of a red state move to? Are we going to end up in the world of Snow Crash, which seemed like a really bad idea when I read it in my late teens and seems even worse now?

My house is Alabama, but my neighbors are Hawaii and Vermont.

20 Likes

Vote with your feet. Brexit is better than being a slave to unelected Brussels Dictators. Counties moving borders to a State where the legislature listens is better.

I don’t understand how an elected and acting member of Congress can call out for the dissolution of the United States, when the VERY thing she swore to protect is called, “The Constitution of the UNITED STATES.”
I mean, it’s in the fucking name!

27 Likes

I don’t know, things seemed better in 2015 when the country wasn’t falling apart and I wasn’t fearing for my life.

34 Likes