Marjorie Taylor Greene warns young adults about the pitfalls of college that ruined her (video)

Originally published at: Marjorie Taylor Greene warns young adults about the pitfalls of college that ruined her (video) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

That’s the University of Georgia… And calling UGA a “woke” college is the height of hilarity…

49 Likes

Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

41 Likes

I assume it was that freshman science course that she just couldn’t pass.

24 Likes

Agreed. Scary to think that from MGT’s perspective, UGA is a “woke college.” It may be liberal by Georgia standards, but that’s like saying Auburn or Bama (where 39 and 38% of students identify as conservative Republicans) are woke because they’re in Alabama.

That should be an eye-opener for people, if they actually need another one.

22 Likes

Thank you @Mindysan33! Just made the correction. :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

Insert shadow on the cave wall of Plato facepalming here.

28 Likes

She may have gotten a degree from the University of Georgia, but she certainly went to great lengths not to get an education there.

49 Likes

Thank you, @Carla_Sinclair!

We also have Agnes Scott, Morehouse, Spelman, and the AUC… I would say Emory, too, but they have a conservative streak as well… although they DO have Carol Anderson, who I absolutely adore…

As for my alma mater or the other massive school here on the north end of the metro (KSU)… I’d say that they are both getting more corporate in nature… :unamused:

18 Likes

By 2012, Greene was working as a part-time coach at an Alpharetta CrossFit gym.[1] In August 2013, she co-founded a CrossFit gym, CrossFit Passion, in Alpharetta, along with Travis Mayer, a CrossFit athlete, before leaving the business in early 2017.[40] In a 2015 interview, Greene said that when she and Mayer founded the gym, they knew little about how to run a business.[39]

college math GIF

18 Likes

Marjorie Taylor Greene wants high school graduates to enroll in trade schools “instead of going to woke universities where their mind and souls get completely ruined.” … Despite this statement, Greene and her children have attended college.

To have your mind ruined, you need to have a mind to ruin. Greene and her kids are probably safe.

18 Likes

For years, Herschel Walker has told the same inspiring story: that he graduated in the top 1% of his class at the University of Georgia. He’s told the story, according to a review of his speeches by CNN’s KFile, during motivational speeches over the years and as recently as 2017. The only problem: it’s not true.

17 Likes

I just figured she was dropped on her head as a child (many times).

4 Likes

People in the US are encouraged to go to college to be successful. The reason for this is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. College is seen as a ticket to get to the upper classes. The problem is income disparity which the Republicans care nothing about and won’t address. Not everyone should go to college. Trade schools are a fine option for many people, but they shouldn’t have to take out a mountain of debt for a [$60k] a year job. Republicans don’t care about that either. They’re just playing class warefare. What makes it even more silly is that Democrats support trade schools and government training for blue collar jobs. They also regulate fraudulent schools like Trump University and all of Betsy DeVos’ ventures, but Republicans don’t want that either.

I can’t believe people buy this stuff.

21 Likes

I used to wonder about how the Khmer Rouge came to power, with their policy of killing anyone with an education, or even who wore glasses. I bet there were a bunch of MTGs in their ranks pushing the idea that education is so dangerous you need to kill people who have it.

26 Likes

Careful, GQP, those trade schools may yet teach radical concepts like “critical thinking”!

14 Likes

This is the problem with the conservative mindset. They view the purpose in life as finding a job. Someone looking to expand their knowledge and grow as a person is a waste.

16 Likes

The whole USG (university system of Georgia) is DEFINITELY becoming more corporate in nature. That is coming from a top down push from the BOR (Board of Regents). Who are basically political appointees who are on a mission to make education more like business. They only really care about the profitable units : b-school, nursing school, professional schools, sports etc. If it doesn’t make you into a good wage slave, or the system money, why bother?

Among the many reasons I noped out of there.

6 Likes

Greene attended college… but did she learn anything?

5 Likes

I agree, but GSU has been pushing the corporate line from the top, too. Becker really changed a lot in his tenure as president, including giving away the radio station to GPB. The leadership under Becker was most certainly on board with the BOR’s agenda and actively pursued it.

I’m betting she was a middling student at best, and partied her way through and didn’t learn anything.

12 Likes