Marjorie Taylor Greene's plan for breaking U.S. into two countries includes rules about sex toy displays at Walmart

Originally published at: Marjorie Taylor Greene's plan for breaking U.S. into two countries includes rules about sex toy displays at Walmart | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I hate to break it to EmptyG, but if those children’s toothbrushes are of the electric variety…

Also, if the Ameristan of her dreams comes to pass*, she’s probably going to be surprised that major consumer brands flee it faster than they have Elon Musk’s Twitter.

[* it won’t, at least not in the way she believes it will.]

24 Likes

Probably not, though, as there will still be money to be made in Red america, so they’ll do what they do now - which is try to play both sides…

13 Likes

I can see Hobby Lobby sticking around, but WalMart and Chick-fil-A would probably have to set up separate subsidiaries and brands to both deal with the rules of Gilead and boycotts from residents of the sane states.

One of the many nice touches in Handmaid’s Tale is Atwood including stores like “Loaves and Fishes” (where the products are untainted by printed words lest the ladies be tempted to read).

27 Likes

Ah yes, all the children out there who are purchasing their own toothbrushes, but are also too sheltered to see a sex toy in a package. That’s gotta be a narrow demographic.

19 Likes

I assume that cognitive engagement is a category error when the objective is to feel more strongly than the opponent; but is she unaware that companies can and do arrange SKUs differently in various markets already; or that rules around signage and certain product categories already exhibit granularity down to the municipal level in some cases?

Wal-Mart seems like an especially poor choice of example; given their notoriously intense interest in data-driven optimization and nonadherence to inconvenient regulation. If there are sex toys next to the toothbrushes it’s almost certainly because that’s where Y’all-Qaeda is most likely to buy them; not because the Consumer Product Satan Commission’s field teams are stocking them there.

24 Likes

Wal-Mart maybe, but Chick-Fil-A might just lean harder into their right wing tendencies.

You are aware that Wal-Mart is not just in red districts, but is found all over the country, even in Blue districts, right? They’re not just getting their demographic information from Republicans.

And we can stop blaming right wing white Christian violence on Muslims literally any day now.

19 Likes

So what you are saying is that Madge is actually in favor of stronger government regulation over business decisions. Amazing! :laughing:

27 Likes

She’s a fascist, so that’s not really surprising.

30 Likes

True story (much longer but abbreviated here) … all that data manipulation (and I have some professional insight into how and where Walmart got started with that) leads to things like babies’ nappies being next to 6-packs of cans of beer.

The data showed that in the late afternoons and early evenings otherwise solitary purchases of nappies were often accompanied by beer. But nothing else. When they put them next to each other in the store, beer sales increased by a noticeable amount.

Friday night phone call: “Honey, we’re out of diapers - could you drop by Walmart and pick some up on your way home from work?”

30 Likes

Yeah, not surprising at all. It’s just nice to point out the hypocrisy / cognitive dissonance.

6 Likes

Matt Gaetz’s girlfriends?

12 Likes

Not getting old any time soon.

23 Likes

I’ll admit that last time I bought a toothbrush at the grocery store they just happened to be in the same aisle as the “personal hygiene” and “family planning” products. But then I live in deep blue Commieland so this should be expected.

It wasn’t clear which was the dildo aisle and the store directory wasn’t much help.

13 Likes

Sure… they don’t see it as that. It’s perfectly consistent with their world view. They lie to get votes. If they can get control of the country (which despite their protestations of just wanting to split off here), they will violently impose their will and work with corporations, giving them greater power over workers. They keep calling themselves the “real” workers party, but so did the nazis. One of the first things they did was go after independent trade unions…

15 Likes

5 Likes

Almost wish Trump had been able to buy Greeneland.

How would dragging another country into their fascist shit help?

5 Likes

14 Likes

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

6 Likes