Mark Hamill (aka Luke Skywalker) reviews last night's presidential debate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/30/mark-hamill-aka-luke-skywalker-reviews-last-nights-presidential-debate.html

17 Likes
43 Likes

As I was just telling my kid, that is an Extinction Level Event burn…

22 Likes

No medallion for Trump.

4 Likes

During my mental bleaching following this event - it struck me that the hybrid format may be part of the problem. The candidates seemed stuck between the typical debate approach of getting the question and speaking to the audience (like 2016), dealing with the moderator, and then with each other. The latter looked like they were on a 45 degree angle - so they were never really debating each other, and rarely addressing viewers.

I think, given the personalities, they should simply be facing each other and debating the issues. This would allow Biden to ask Trump questions like “tell me about your foreign debt Donald” and “Why do you disrespect fallen soldiers” etc etc.

Bring in Jerry Springer’s bouncers for when things get rowdy.

6 Likes

I am thinking the opposite.
There should be a partition between the candidates so neither is able to read the facial expressions of their opponents. (Instead, Biden could wear a facemask and dress much like your typical poker player/Unabomber and have a huge advantage by depriving Trump of such visual cues. Still, maintaining the rest of his dress in business professional attire.)

3 Likes

Didn’t watch the debate but a random Redditor suggested just muting the person not speaking.

I’m sure someone negotiated so that wasn’t an option though. =:/

6 Likes

Seems like everyone’s got a hot take on the proceedings.

23 Likes

Consider “Plan 9 From Outer Space”, a movie so utterly bad it’s somehow good.

This debate proved there are limits to that concept.

Nothing redeeming about it. Nothing funny.

We didn’t even learn anything new about the candidates or policy.

And you know, it didn’t even make me angry so I had to go out and run five miles or lift weights to get the anger out of my system. I just felt dispirited.

3 Likes

I’ve already posted this in another thread, but it’s appropriate for here as well. Here’s a great run-down of the many funny responses to this Twitter meme:

6 Likes

Is… is Howard the Duck supposed to look like Sean Astin? I’m only just noticing this.

2 Likes

The problem isn’t the format.

5 Likes
6 Likes

No, Mark. The debate was much, much worse.

That movie at least had Bea Arthur singing.

… and I hate Bea Arthur’s singing.

1 Like

If you remember you were in The Star Wars Holiday Special, you weren’t there.

4 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

I believe that’s his point?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Apparently I’m not the first person to have observed this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.