Married couple get divorced so their girlfriend doesn't get jealous

Monogamous couples don’t break up a a drastically lower rate than poly groups. Especially if you consider that one person can leave a group without everyone breaking up.

Living together forever until everyone dies doesn’t really need to be the goal of every relationship.

9 Likes

I don’t think anyone is saying that you aren’t allowed to express your opinion. But you can’t expect to be free from criticism in a thread where you are…well, criticizing people.

16 Likes

Hell, I know I’m not funny, but your initial premise is off. In a rage of self-aggrandstanding™ you summoned a weird chimera of misplaced ‘lol you use the internet’ snark, so just own it. It’s okay. Please explain what part of a throw-away, one-sentence quip about the existence of mall-based lizardmongers hinted at any contempt for this family and opened the door to: [quote=“LearnedCoward, post:60, topic:99971”]
What, so now her occupation is the weird part? Or was it that they met their girlfriend the same way a lot of us meet our romantic partners? Y’know, just by getting out in the fresh air and meeting people while doing stuff? Of course, if it were an internet thing, you’d probably have choice words to say about that as well. It’s amazing how we find these little tiny nits to pick because we don’t have balls or ovaries enough to say that polyamory weirds us out.
[/quote]

Come on now. I’m not dodging anything because there’s nothing to dodge-- I don’t care how these folks structure their apparently happy family. I have no idea how you read my intent but it’s way off. If I said something nuanced and crypto-offensive, please point it out because I sincerely want to fix it.

Really verbose personal blog entries.

1 Like

As long as the family can make arrangements for the inevitable emergencies: kid breaks arm, are all parents authorized to go to the ER and make any needed decisions without running into flak? Ditto parents themselves?

6 Likes

when you’re converned about the failure mode of clever, you just need to be extra clever.

It’s good to remember that’s a more broad problem too. I was raised by my grandparents but my mom was my legal guardian which led to my once getting refused stitches in an emergency room a when I was 3.

They never resolved this, it gave me a little trouble with some of my college paperwork. We just worked around it.

My brother ended up adopted by his other grandparents but is running into issues because now he’s living with Mom and she’s the one dealing with his health care but his grandfather is the one responsible for insurance and some legal things.

12 Likes

… If I pronounce it the way I think it’s pronounced, I’ll insult her. If I mispronounce it deliberately, I’ll only look like an idiot …

2 Likes
  • schools, hospitals and others will be more likely recognize Kuntz as a parent (step parent) for the purpose of permission for the kids.
  • it is a demonstration and commitment to family, friends, others and even themselves that Kuntz is a part of the family and not just some temporary thing.
  • there are possibly insurance, legal and tax ramifications of doing things this way.
19 Likes

The failure mode of clever is:

:peach: :hole:

2 Likes

They might be better off just forming a corporation…

6 Likes

Still waiting on that explanation, man. No cleverness. Tell me what I said that was offensive.

The failure mode of clever is asshole.

You tried for a joke and missed.

The reward for nailing the joke? Not a whole lot, but possibly still worth it.

The penalty for missing the joke? Being assumed to be passive-aggressively looking down on this family. “Oh, she’s too young, she’s so young she still works at the mall. They’re weirdoes too. They’re so weird they keep lizards as pets instead of dogs and cats. Did I mention they’re sex freaks? They’re such sex freaks they’re always trolling for strange, they’re never just pet shopping like normal parents.” I’m a Midwesterner, so passive-aggressiveness is my native language, and that is a direct translation.

10 Likes

The first thing I thought of when I saw that was James and the Giant Peach…

I have such a strange mind…

4 Likes

:peach: :hole: can mean both asshole and peach pit.

3 Likes

Truly the aloha of emoji conjunctions.

19 Likes

To me, this article is a lot like the (now) occasional (thankfully) articles about gay men or lesbian women or a transgender person “coming out,” especially a famous person. My reaction is a big, “meh, WTF cares?” So what Andersen Cooper or whoever is gay, or Kaitlin Jenner is trans… like it changes anything and I don’t really give a shit. YOU DO YOU, and have fun kids.

1 Like

Fruit-sewer?

2 Likes

You don’t have to do that, and you haven’t been moderated. What you wrote was criticized. Everything will be OK.

28 Likes

Cultural hysteresis has been taking us this way for quite a while, and that’s a good thing. I don’t think even tRump could derail this with his inflaming remarks to the brown-shirts out there.

1 Like

Yeah, I get the old ‘failure mode’ saw. My POV: You projected really intense, specific bigotry on me from out of left field, were personally insulting, and quadrupled down on the smug even after I offered to amend anything that anyone found offensive. I’m certain we hold the exact same views of this family/situation but I just don’t see anything further helping the conversation. Maybe next time.

(Derail done, sorry folks.)

3 Likes