Mars has blue-hued sand dunes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/25/mars-has-blue-hued-sand-dunes.html

2 Likes

Proof (as if more were needed) that Mars once had oceans. Now, like the Cheshire Cat, all that’s left is the blue.

3 Likes

Martian pennies. Wishing well fossils.

3 Likes

J’onn? Is that you?

2 Likes

It looks like a living entity in the NASA link. Maybe it is. Anyone ever see the movie, Angry Red Planet?

1 Like

11 Likes

This particular dune, appearing like turquoise blue in enhanced color

Enhanced color. So, is the dune really blue… just not as vivid? Or is the dune a different color and for the purposes of the imaging it’s been colored blue to show the difference in material? Typically on astronomy type pictures some of the coloring we see for galaxies is added, IE: They’re not really that color, but they are visualized that way to show the difference in materials/elements

I think it’d be good to know which one it is. I presume its been enhanced to look more blue. But i can’t be sure based on the wording alone.

12 Likes

Well now we know where he’s been hiding.

7 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say, “enhanced color” can mean anything from “it technically tends towards blue but you’d never know by looking at it with your eyes” to “we arbitrarily colored it blue to distinguish it/it’s different in some non-visible part of the spectrum.” Basically the one thing we can be sure of is that it’s not that color.

2 Likes

What color are their sandworms?

2 Likes

7 Likes

I feel like I should know what that is.

2 Likes

Me too. Had to use the interwebz to figure it out. It’s Beetlejuice!

3 Likes

It’s show time…

3 Likes

Hey now, his name was only said once. No fair breaking the summoning rule.

1 Like

Whose name? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Beetl…wait a second!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Mars needs more computer-enhanced left-leaning sand!

1 Like