Maruchan noodles are an almost free lunch

Dangerously high blood pressure on the cheap!

3 Likes

You are aware that boiling water evaporates rather quickly… right? Also, a nice cold glass of water hydrates more than overcooked noodles. But hey, you do you.

2 Likes

Don’t knock it 'til you try it.

4 Likes

The difference probably comes down to the added sugar in the mix. You get a large calorie boost without the added price jump.

1 Like

According to David Chang the noodles are deep fried and fully cooked, so, why not!

Aside; David Chang has a bunch of interesting things that he does with instant ramen. I can’t find the recipe that he used at his LA hotel (?) but it was a “real” ramen and actually sounded pretty delicious. Apparently it was inspired by his childhood and eating instant ramen as an afterschool snack.

Actually, no. If you live in the desert you quickly learn that drinking water straight, while pleasing and usually worthwhile, is less valuable than having it in food, as water by itself tends to pass quickly through your system, especially when you’re trying to consume the quantities you need to replace sweat. You’ll find that most desert peoples across the world actually tend to drink smaller quantities than people from temperate climes; they also tend to value carbohydrates that hold a lot of water, such as rice, pasta, cous cous, etc.

5 Likes

I’m eating Maruchan noodles right now! I do forgo the instant heart disease flavor packet, though, and add whatever leftovers and veggies are kicking around, curry, and, if I have it, coconut milk.

ETA - Two 12-packs for four or five bucks.

8 Likes

Not for nothing, but the Rapid Ramen Cooker is a pretty damn nifty little gadget (don’t let its “As Seen on TV™” pedigree fool you).

It’s the perfect size for a brick of ramen noodles – just put the brick in, put in water up to the fill line, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. After it’s done, dump in the seasoning packet and mix it up. Ready to serve – just eat it right out of the cooker. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.

I own three of them.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Tabieats makes all the evil of youtube worth enduring.

2 Likes

I knew a girl in college who did that, but without the non-ramen components, for too long, and got scurvy.

2 Likes

I wish I could eat them regularly, but I’m old enough to run for president and I’ve got to take care of myself.

Sometimes I splurge and get some not-deep-fried noodles from my local uwajimaya. It comes two-to-a-pack, and I try to space them out at least a few days. So yummy.

edit: spicy seasame tan tan, specifically

1 Like

This was interesting and worth watching. Main take-away? M’erikan noodles aren’t salty enough and none have authentic japanese flavor (who cares, as long as you like the flavor, you be you! =`)

We eat ramen often enough (or buckwheat soba, udon or chow mien noodles [like tonight]). So many easy variations! When you set the water to boil my recommendation these days is to thinly slice some onion into the water before you start. Then go get yourself some real Kombu! I got some super thick stuff that is actually too chewy even for me. So I use a scissors to slice it super thin right into the cold water. Let this boil for a while before you add the noodles. It makes an amazing broth the longer you boil it. Then add any veggies you have left over. Or edamame. mb spinach or kale (throw kale in at the start mb). A dash of sesame oil, mb a jot of sambal oelek and/or a few sprigs of cilantro. Or put a tablespoon of peanut butter in there at the end. A squeeze of lime, a slice for serving. Sriracha at the table, sesame seeds, dashi flakes… mb an egg on top or as it finishes cooking (or hardboiled cut in half) adds some easy protein.

And throw away the spice packet or use just a bit in the water at the start.
Styrofoam cup? getdafugouttahere! yuk

Also they don’t need to be ‘instant’ noodles, just buy the real deal and wait a bit longer (the instant ones are cooked then fried then dehydrated or something? ugh)

1 Like
2 Likes

I know a woman who used the seasoning to add flavor to her popcorn…

3 Likes

This. If you’ve got an Asian market near you (Ranch 99 for the Chinese variety, H-Mart for the Korean, and Marukai, Nijiya, or Mistsuwa for the Japanese), you can get actually edible instant cup or bowl ramen, udon, or soba.

There’s really no need to subject yourself to cup noodles…

3 Likes

ScreenHunter%2004

Check out this page : Instant Noodles Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1089431354555062/
And also The Ramen Rater.

1 Like

Came here to suggest that thread.

1 Like

It’s a great rationalization for smoking too.

7 Likes

If I really want to subject myself to instant ramen, Nissin Raoh is pricier but soooo much tastier.

2 Likes