Maryland rapists have child rights after all-male panel fails to protect victims with bill

Except for when it did happen. Radical republicans in the 1860s. The men who supported women’s suffrage. Various pro-civil rights politicians (many who were white). Anti-war people. Supporters of LBGQT rights (even those who aren’t themselves LBGQT). I know it’s rare, but sometimes, we do get people in office who do the right thing, even if it often takes mass action to get them there.

10 Likes

I’m one of those anti war people. We have no power at all. We constantly get told that we don’t know how the world really works.

Nobody who isn’t a war hawk can even get elected dog catcher in this country, and then we scratch our little heads and wonder why we’ve fucked ourselves.

I’m not terribly optimistic, at any rate.

You’re not dumb.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but it’s important to note that since the late 70s the voting public has also been gunning for minorities with their choices in public figures. When 40% of the half of the country that votes always opts for nearly comically racist politicians it goes deeper than just the ineptitude and racism of policy brought forth. It’s not like there was a good option on a federal stage until recently, and even then people didn’t understand the ramifications of their general inactivity.

1 Like

My point wasn’t that things are perfect, but they are better because of the work people did, some of them even politicians. It’s happened before and it can happen again. It is happening again. We’ve gotten some hopefully rulings on the immigration ban for example.

Except for all the none war hawks who have been elected. I think it’s more a case that the people who aren’t war hawks in congress get ignored on a regular basis by the mass media, making us all think they just aren’t there. They are out there and it’s up to us to get more elected to political positions.

3 Likes

The state protects us by providing education for the young and state pensions when we get old

7 Likes

Progress has been made, but very little (to none) of that can be left at the feet of the Democratic Party.

1 Like

They aren’t, but sometimes people make that point as an easy derail.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.